Anyone using really low BMT settings?

massless

Inspired
My new bass mid treble default is no longer noon (5) but 2-3. It's solving a ton of issues I was having with the ax8 tones and saving a lot of advanced parameter fiddling.

Some amps I've passed over like the SLO and Corncob are sounding amazing now.

I run bass super low most of the time. I ahve tanked the treble in the past on certain amps but have not in a while

My new hobby is going through amps I've passed previously and spending time finding their sweet spots (Yeks amp guides are invaluable for this)

Plus you should always setup amps according to what your ears are telling you rather than your eyes

on the SLO BMT ended up as 6.8, 1.7, 2.5 or thereabouts. On this amp the bass happened to be cranked with depth off but it was good at 3 as well.

Yes, they can't default to "undefined"... That would be better though

Default to NaN...

I'm sure I read in cliffs notes that the eq had more latitude in either direction than a real amp. If so that would make my settings fairly extreme. It's undeniable that it smoothed out the spikes and clatter, but if it's not a common approach it'd indicate some issue elsewhere in my rig. I'm not a scooped mids kind of player and I don't set my real amps that way.

Yes. I keep the bass (and to a lesser degree treble) much lower with highgain models than I do on my actual amps.

Yes. I keep the bass (and to a lesser degree treble) much lower with highgain models than I do on my actual amps.

Comparing the visual positions of the controls on the real amp with those in the models only makes sense when amplifying the model through the same cabinet as the real amp.

Often amp models are combined with IRs instead. The mic that was used when capturing an IR (positioned close to the speaker) impacts the bottom and top end. When not applying high-pass and low-pass, it's not unusual to turn down bass and treble/presence, because of the proximity effect of the used microphone.

I think I read that pot tolerances vary so much that you can't even compare the same model of amp with each other.

I'm not using IRs btw, Ax8 > SS > 4x12

Yes, it's very flexible. I now tend to view BMT (and Prescence) as feel and character controls and leave fine tuning of the actual tonal balance to the amp block GEQ. So if a setting feels good but is too bassy I prefer to cut the bass in the GEQ. Ditto mids and treble. It's never completely clear cut which to use though.

I always look to the low cut switch in the amp block or go to the Low cut parameter in the cab block to tame lows.

Running a guitar cab is a different deal though. The filter is already set so to speak and should be a simple task of tuning basic EQ.

For clean sounds I'm following the Fender magic six trick a little more, depending on 100 different things of course. But it helps to get that bright clean tone.

I think I read that pot tolerances vary so much that you can't even compare the same model of amp with each other.

I'm not using IRs btw, Ax8 > SS > 4x12

+/-10% to 20% tolerance is pretty standard on most pots. Higher end pots might be +/-5%. Because of improvements in manufacturing, modern components are generally much more consistent than vintage ones as well.

Comparing the visual positions of the controls on the real amp with those in the models only makes sense when amplifying the model through the same cabinet as the real amp.

Often amp models are combined with IRs instead. The mic that was used when capturing an IR (positioned close to the speaker) impacts the bottom and top end. When not applying high-pass and low-pass, it's not unusual to turn down bass and treble/presence, because of the proximity effect of the used microphone.

Thanks yek.
I wasnt complaining or wondering why in my post, just so we're clear.
But since we're talking about it...
I turn the bass way down when using the cab block with 85/7000 cuts, as well as with a real cab. It's something about the amp models distort. It feels like they all (except the savage and a couple others) are like Mark series amps where you need to kill the bass and add it back after the preamp or else it sounds like you're running a fuzz kind of. No bass clarity.
So I end up giving that treatment to a lot of the models.

Again, not complaining.
I'm in the camp that thinks the axe models sound great already, would rather it sound excellent than accurate, and for future firmware to focus on expanded effects and functionality. I think @FractalAudio disagrees, but there are some tube purists who won't switch to digital even if it's 101% accurate.

but there are some tube purists who won't switch to digital even if it's 101% accurate.

That's because they hear with their eyes and not their ears, If Larry Mitchell can't hear the difference when switching between a real amp and the molded one through a guitar cab then it's a good bet that there isn't much of a difference to hear but rather see.

Back
Top Bottom