Anyone using Fryette PS 2 with real cabs?

I just got a PS-2 to use with my FM-3 so I can share my thoughts.

I get the idea of wanting to get away from FRFR bc I was the same way when I had the AX8 ( also have had the Kemper & Helix years ago). I could never adjust to FRFR. The closest I got was with an Atomic CLR and even then it just didn't do it for me.

So when I got the FM3 I was dead set on using it with a power amp and my Bogner OS 2x12 w/CB 65's. I also had a AMP1 Mercury laying around and then rebought a PS-2 to try as well with my FM3.

For me using the PS-2 (and even the AMP1 Mercury) produced very good results but not to the extent I thought it would. IMO is very limiting in the use range of the FM3. Pretty much all amps sounded VERY similar when run through the PS-2 into my cab. I should have known this since speakers and cab are SO important to different tones between say a VOX and a Dual Rec.

I am not sure what happened between me having the AX8 (Kemper, Helix etc) and getting the FM3 but for me there was no difference in feel between running the FM3 into a trad cab with a PS-2 and running FRFR. I was shocked to discover this because I was 100% sure there would be a huge difference.

As far as sound with the PS-2 like I said it sounds very good and if you just wanted to use a couple specific amps in the FM3 and be done with it it's not a bad option. For me though and again not sure what happened between having the AX8 and hating FRFR and now but.....I hooked up the FM3 into some cheap JBL LSR305's and found some good IR;s and was shocked how much I fell in love with it. Maybe my ears finally made the switch to FRFR or something was greatly improved in the FM3....I dunno. I feel so strongly about it now I am upgrading to a pair of Presonus Sceptre S8's and selling my amps. I honestly now PREFER frfr and that is even with my cheap JBL's so I can only imagine how I will feel about it with the Sceptre's.

FWIW I am a die hard tube amp fan and the typical guy chasing the "amp in the room" sound and feel of tube amps. I have read about other die hard tube guys making the switch and adjusting and eventually preferring FRFR but I didn't think I would ever be one of them. While the JBL's I have are not expensive they are decent but whatever monitors you are using will make a huge diff in how you feel with FRFR. Then again I had the JBL's before with the AX8, Kemper & Helix and it never blew my hair back. Maybe its my ears finally adjusting, maybe improvements in the FM3 who the f knows? ha

What FRFR system are you currently using? What is it you are not liking? If it's feel thing I personally don't think you will gain much ground going into a PA into a trad cab. If it's just tone and haven't tried a CLR or higher end monitors (or even Yam HS8's) I would try that before giving up.

This is all of course just my opinion and my experience. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom