Anyone using Axe-FX with an amplifier (for FX only)?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm interested in hooking up my Ultra to a MIDI controlled amp (such as Diezel VH4) and just using the FX, and I'm trying to figure out how I would program my FCB1010 pedal controller. Currently I have created a separate Axe preset for every song I play in my two covers bands, and I want to continue using it this way. However, I envisage having to program 8 buttons on my controller - 4 for the amp's channel selection (dry, no FX) and the other 4 to switch channels while simultaneously turning all FX blocks on (wet sound). Is this the most efficient way of doing it? How would you do it?

the midi on the vh4 is a "learn" style programming. the axe fx uses program changes which usually correspond to the specific patch #.

so if my foot controller sends program change 1 my axe fx turns to preset 1. after i press that, i change to the channel on the diezel that i want with that axe patch, then hit the vh4's store button 2x. simple.

here's the instructions from the diezel manual:

6.0 Programming your VH4
It is quite easy to program your Diezel VH4, and easy to explain. Each change in the midi program must be followed by pushing the “Store” button twice. After the first touch, the selected red function switches will blink, then touch again and your program is in memory. Each of the 128 programs (patches, program changes) can be changed as often as is desired.
6.1 Preamp Channel Selection
The 4 channels of the Diezel can be selected manually by activating the red button above each channel strip, or can be programmed via the midi control system. If you assign the channel one switch function to a midi program ( for example “01”), then you can initiate this channel’s switching via your midi pedal. Push “01” on your midi pedal after programming, and the pedal will send digital information to the amplifier. The amp will read this information and decide whether or not it is supposed to respond. When properly programmed, it will then switch on channel one. OK, here it is again: select 01 on your midi pedal. select channel one of the VH4. Now push “Store” twice. Voila’, it’s a midi program! Now select program change “02” on your pedal, switch the amp to channel two, hit “Store” twice, and suddenly you have a midi program with 2 program changes. Continue on until you run out of channels, about 2 more times. All the other function of the amp can be programmed in the same exact way. Remember: push “Store “ twice to finalize a midi program procedure. Select the program from the pedal to recall it at the amp.

Ah, but the problem is I may be using two different sounds within each Axe preset, as each one is set up for a different song. Normally I achieve this with two amp blocks but I need to know how to change amp channels and have certain FX blocks associated with each channel.

Presets, programs, patches, sounds... names are confusing, aren't they? :)
Anyways, what I meant is that you should program both your amp and AxeFx
to equal number of programs/sounds...
Example, midi program number one is your clean channel with chorus and delay from AxeFx,
set your amp to switch to clean channel on program one and add chorus and delay
on preset 1 on AxeFx.
Then you wanna use crunch channel with the same effects from AxeFx,
set your amp to switch on crunch channel on program two
and copy preset 1 to preset 2 on AxeFx, perhaps now you're with me? :)

Muris_Varajic said:
Presets, programs, patches, sounds... names are confusing, aren't they? :)
Anyways, what I meant is that you should program both your amp and AxeFx
to equal number of programs/sounds...
Example, midi program number one is your clean channel with chorus and delay from AxeFx,
set your amp to switch to clean channel on program one and add chorus and delay
on preset 1 on AxeFx.
Then you wanna use crunch channel with the same effects from AxeFx,
set your amp to switch on crunch channel on program two
and copy preset 1 to preset 2 on AxeFx, perhaps now you're with me? :)
Yeah, I think so. Basically, you're saying for each song I need a dry preset and a wet preset? I can't switch amp channels and retain the same Axe preset?

Stringtheorist said:
Basically, you're saying for each song I need a dry preset and a wet preset?
Well no, I am not saying that as I have no clue what song you play or which sounds do you need
but you said that you might need to use same effects from AxeFx on different amp channels.

Stringtheorist said:
I can't switch amp channels and retain the same Axe preset?
It is possible with midi mapping which I never tried to be honest,
for me it's easier to simply copy the preset on different location.

Stringtheorist said:
Yeah, I think so. Basically, you're saying for each song I need a dry preset and a wet preset? I can't switch amp channels and retain the same Axe preset?

if you have 2 midi foot switches, one for axe and one for amp, then yes, you can switch amp channels without switching the fx.

or to stay with 1 foot controller, say you have patch 1 which is clean channel 1 with chorus and delay. duplicate that patch as patch 2 with the same fx, but just assign channel 3 on the amp.

chrisallen8888 said:
Stringtheorist said:

if you have 2 midi foot switches, one for axe and one for amp, then yes, you can switch amp channels without switching the fx.

or to stay with 1 foot controller, say you have patch 1 which is clean channel 1 with chorus and delay. duplicate that patch as patch 2 with the same fx, but just assign channel 3 on the amp.
Hmm. Given how many presets (songs) I have stored I don't think this is a realistic proposition for me. I would have to find another way of using it.

And how many sounds and what kind of sounds do you need per gig?
As far as I know you have 4 options in total regarding amp, 4 channels.
AxeFx is something else tho, far more presets not to mention using IA
to switch individual effects on and off within a preset.

Muris_Varajic said:
And how many sounds and what kind of sounds do you need per gig?
As far as I know you have 4 options in total regarding amp, 4 channels.
AxeFx is something else tho, far more presets not to mention using IA
to switch individual effects on and off within a preset.
I'm using all ten global amps in one capacity or another... obviously that'll have to be cut back to four. Unique FX for each song.

If I was to get an MFC-101 I assume it would be possible to do what I want with that? (Programming Ultra's presets as different sounds instead of different songs and then building my songs in the MFC using the Ultra presets.)

This may not work for you but I also have the FCB1010 (original EPROM) and although I only use the Axe-Fx wit it here is what I do. All of my presets are stored with effects Bypassed but present and ready to be turned on when required. I use switches 1-5 for switching presets on any given Bank and switches 6-10 to turn on/off specific effects within those presets (i.e. 6=Drive, 7=Reverb, 8=Delay, 9=4 db volume boost, 10=tap tempo).

If I understand what you are trying to do, you will need to use specific MIDI channels for your amp and your Axe-Fx and then program the FCB1010 accordingly to switch Amp channels and Axe-Fx presets at the same time or independently. Time consuming at best but sounds doable. I believe that by default, the Axe-Fx will respond to any MIDI channel but can be programmed to only respond to a specific channel. I assume the same can be done on your amp as well. The FCB1010 can switch multiple channels with the same switch so that should not cause a problem.

My method, noted above, allows for a similar setup regardless of which preset I am using since switches 6-10 are programmed identically for all FCB1010 banks. Downside is that switching from a wet to another wet preset is not possible without multiple foot work for me but I do not have that situation with the tunes I play, so far at least. Note that I only really run a total of 5 main presets on any given bank (clean, slight breakup, crunch, lead, special).

Dinkledorf said:
This may not work for you but I also have the FCB1010 (original EPROM) and although I only use the Axe-Fx wit it here is what I do. All of my presets are stored with effects Bypassed but present and ready to be turned on when required. I use switches 1-5 for switching presets on any given Bank and switches 6-10 to turn on/off specific effects within those presets (i.e. 6=Drive, 7=Reverb, 8=Delay, 9=4 db volume boost, 10=tap tempo).

If I understand what you are trying to do, you will need to use specific MIDI channels for your amp and your Axe-Fx and then program the FCB1010 accordingly to switch Amp channels and Axe-Fx presets at the same time or independently. Time consuming at best but sounds doable. I believe that by default, the Axe-Fx will respond to any MIDI channel but can be programmed to only respond to a specific channel. I assume the same can be done on your amp as well. The FCB1010 can switch multiple channels with the same switch so that should not cause a problem.

My method, noted above, allows for a similar setup regardless of which preset I am using since switches 6-10 are programmed identically for all FCB1010 banks. Downside is that switching from a wet to another wet preset is not possible without multiple foot work for me but I do not have that situation with the tunes I play, so far at least. Note that I only really run a total of 5 main presets on any given bank (clean, slight breakup, crunch, lead, special).
Thanks. Looks like I can use either pedalboard to do what I want but only if I program my presets by sound instead of by song. Good to know, anyhow.

I'm slamming my head into the wall trying to decide about this crazy thing - but, I use it as you describe you want to. Without too much detail, I set my Axe to receive program changes and cc on MIDI channel one, and my ENGL Steve Morse on MIDI channel two. I use an All Access - I set that for five program changes, and 10 cc sends. I set my axe on program 10, with the delay, verb, etc. that I want and set the cc's and expression pedal to control it on MIDI channel one. I set the program change buttons to channel two to send those to the amp. On those I "turn off" any MIDI messages going to channel one. I hope I explained it, but it does exactly what you want - changes channels/settings on the amp separate from sending any messages to the Axe. I think any MIDI pedal that can send or defeat information going down a MIDI channel could do this. Most will send messages down multiple MIDI channels.

What I'm going to do, but haven't yet, is change banks on the All Access, and use another Axe patch as described above, and still change channels on the amp. I did also do this on the FCB as well, but use the Access.

Remotely understandable - lots of words, hope I communicated something.....

MikeDV said:
I set my axe on program 10, with the delay, verb, etc. that I want and set the cc's and expression pedal to control it on MIDI channel one. I set the program change buttons to channel two to send those to the amp. On those I "turn off" any MIDI messages going to channel one. I hope I explained it, but it does exactly what you want - changes channels/settings on the amp separate from sending any messages to the Axe. I think any MIDI pedal that can send or defeat information going down a MIDI channel could do this. Most will send messages down multiple MIDI channels.

What I'm going to do, but haven't yet, is change banks on the All Access, and use another Axe patch as described above, and still change channels on the amp. I did also do this on the FCB as well, but use the Access.

Remotely understandable - lots of words, hope I communicated something.....
I'm a little confused by your method but I've already decided my way would be to program separate presets for each sound I want and access them all from the PC buttons. I need the CC buttons free to access presets/samples on my Roland synth.

Back
Top Bottom