Anyone using an RME Fireface 800 with the Axe II?

Webb

Power User
More specifically...is anyone successfuly using the Fireface 800 as an aggregate device along with the Axe II?

I'm thinking of getting one, but considering it's a pretty heavy piece of coin to drop ($1,700) I wanted to see what kind of luck others are having with this setup. I thought I remember a couple others here using the RME. Thoughts?

I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.2 if that matters.

Hello Webb,

at home I'm using the Axe 2 > FF800 > HS80Ms.
I have not had issues with this setup. On PC Windows 7 64, that is.

Do you have use for the FF800 apart from the Axe, as you don't really need it just for the Axe?

Last edited:
I've used a Fireface UFX mostly successfully as a composite audio device with the II. I had a FF 800 and it's a great piece of gear, but the UFX is even better. Check out RME Sales if you're thinking about buying RME. I saved almost $400 off the UFX from everybody else's price and that was when they were back ordered and nobody had them. I had to wait a while, but this was right when it was introduced, so everybody was waiting. They have an open box FF under $1400 and I'm guessing you can get a UFX for maybe 1800 or less. I love my RME stuff (have used them since using pcmcia card with Multiface maybe 7 years ago). Fantastic gear that just works and solves a huge amount of connectivity and routing issues. I think the mic pres alone are worth the difference in cost between the 800 and UFX. The UFX pres are really clean and useable. They have enough gain for ribbon mics and are a clear step up from the FF 800 pres. Plus you get direct recording to USB stick and controls on the front of the UFX that are very well thought out and useful for being so minimal. Not to mention the dsp giving a ton of eq/comp and delay/verb....how about 14 separate stereo monitor mixes with limiters and eq with no computer hit and absolutely minimal latency?

I also like the AES/EBU i/o on the UFX and have been using that a fair amount lately with the Axe II. And shockingly, the thing works with really low latency on USB 2 as well as Firewire. Anyhow, that wasn't your question, but it's hard to go wrong with RME and it's totally worth checking out Sweetwave. I kept waiting for them to say "sorry, we made a mistake on that price" because NOBODY was discounting the UFX that I could find except them when it first came out.

Reactions: jon
PS, if you end up wanting a FF800, I wouldn't hesitate to get one used and save big $. RME stuff is made to work. I bought mine for $1000 used and sold it 2.5 years later for $1000 when I got my UFX. Sounds almost like a FA product in that regard.

Hello Webb,

at home I'm using the Axe 2 > FF800 > HS80Ms.
I have not had issues with this setup. On PC Windows 7 64, that is.

Do you have use for the FF800 apart from the Axe, as you don't really need it just for the Axe?

I may record drums in the future so I need more inputs than the Axe provides. I currently have a Mackie Onyx 400f but have been having driver issues since moving to Lion. I hear RME drivers are some of the most stable.

How do you have the II connected to the FF800...analog or S/PDIF? I was hoping to set up an aggregate device made up of the two interfaces for easier reamping.

BTW, I also have the Yamaha HS80's. Great monitors!

PS, if you end up wanting a FF800, I wouldn't hesitate to get one used and save big $. RME stuff is made to work. I bought mine for $1000 used and sold it 2.5 years later for $1000 when I got my UFX. Sounds almost like a FA product in that regard.

Thanks for the input! The UFX looks great but unfortunately out of my price range now.

I saw a couple used FF800's for sale on Gearslutz, but I was thinking about buying new in case things don't work out with my setup and I need to return it.

hellomusic.com just listed new 800's for $1325. If you signup, I think new members get $25 off of that.

HTH.

(I'm holding out for a UFX deal, but getting an itchy trigger finger...)

Hellomusic had one for sale yesterday for $1325 shipped (well I'm slow^^^). Never dealt with them and you have to subscribe to their website to be able to buy and they spam the crap out of you, but there are some good deals from time to time.

I will just add that someone in another thread is having issues with MIDI losing connection with AxeEdit and the AxeFXII and early indications are pointing to a conflict with an RME PCIe device. It's also a known issue with the Fireface and updating firmware via it's MIDI (not that you'd need to in this case) and it being corrupt and hosing your Fractal product. I have no personal experience with either situation, this is all just me rehashing things that I've seen that you may want to investigate. Other that that I've heard only great things about the Fireface and was actually thinking about picking one up last night. I just don't need it right now.

Thanks for the tip on Hello Music. Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I might bite on the FF800. They still have it for $1325 and according to their website, offer a "hassle free 365 day" return policy.

Thanks for the tip on Hello Music. Unless someone talks me out of it, I think I might bite on the FF800. They still have it for $1325 and according to their website, offer a "hassle free 365 day" return policy.

2 thumbs up on hello music. I have bought a few things from them and never an issue.

Back
Top Bottom