Anyone using Adam A7X and Sub 7?

EG 2006

Inspired
Hi Guys. First post!

I bought a used Axe FX Ultra recently to "put my feet in the water" and see if Axe FX was for me. Conclusion has been overwhelmingly YES! So much so that I have now ordered an AXE FX 2 XL+.

I am running Adam A7X studio monitors along with the Adam Sub 7 for home practice/use and I don't play out so this rig is all that I use. I just want the best possible tone from the setup I have.

Question for those with these Adam monitors (or other brands) is how do you setup the High Shelf, Low Shelf and Tweeter Level for optimum balancing with the Sub 7? I want to ensure that the A7X's are handling high end and midrange and the sub is taking care of the low end. Do the A7x's automatically recognise that a sub has been added and adjust their role accordingly? I understand that I should just adjust and let my ears be the judge but I am hoping someone may have some insights on this to help me understand it all a bit better.

Primary use for the monitors is Axe FX use. I am running a Steinberg UR22 Mk2 as a basic audio interace with my PC and the Axe FX so I can easily switch between using the monitors as PC Speakers and Axe FX monitors.

Have spent hours reading through this forum and I'm so impressed. What a great community Fractal Audio has.
Jon

I use the Adams with a KRK sub. Your sub has the crossover built into it. So set the crossover frequency on your sub and anything above that will go to the monitors. I leave everything on the monitors flat and set the subcrossover to 80-100hz. I adjust it little by little until the mud is gone. I can hear a low mid buildup when I have to crossover set too high

Thanks Steve, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't understand the sub crossover level purpose. Got it!

Just looked at this, as Im using A5xs and recently bought a sub. I was looking at the Sub7, but went with a Yamaha AS8S.

AS to your question, if you feed the sub then attach the A7Xs to that, the sub has a built in fixed 85hz high pass filter. Its one reason I went for the Yam, as its high pass filter is sweepable 80-120hz giving me more options of where My A5Xs take the load.

You then have an adjustable low pass filter for the sub itself. Start at 85hz which is marked. This should be the perfect crossover. Bring the volume up until the bass starts to fill out then stop. You can then lower of raise the low pass slightly if you get a "hole" (raise the freq) or a hump (lower the freq) in the sound. The holes/humps will be caused by wave phases so while 85hz is technically perfect, you may need to change it slightly for your room. DO NOT adjust the subs volume to compensate as the other freqs will suffer. Use the filter.

I do have a question myself though if anyone can chip in. As the yam sub has a variable high cut - Im unsure if I should go for an 80hz crossover (close to Adams own subs) or 100hz (recommended for the yam sub with yam AS speakers). The former will take some load of the A5xs and fill out with the sub - the latter will give the sub more work, but take more load of the Adams.

Back
Top Bottom