Anyone use this expression pedal with the Axe?

Just ordered on. with jacks on left and polarity switch. Yes Spak please post a thread that tells how to hook this up to the midimate, would be helpful. thanks!

Top marks for the polarity switch option. All manufacturers should wise up to this - only Alesis appear to have done this previously.

This will potentially save a lot of grief for a lot of people. e.g. the Midimate and AxeFx require different polarirty, same issue with other manufacturers.

You want to swap between them - this makes it very easy.

Chris

I should clean up my notes and re-post this for anyone who needs a "baby steps through the midi-mate setup" roadmap. And I know that I will probably need it should I have to set things up all over again. ;)[/quote]

If you have the time to write the step through setup with the MidiMate. I'll include them in my manual for future versions with proper credit of course ;-)

James

Thansk Spak. What kind of TRS cable are you using to go to the Midimate? i should be getting mine next week. apparently he said he got hit with a few orders..i wonder why?

As promised - here is a cleaned up version of how to set up this particular pedal with the switch and your Midi Mate/AxeFX.

If you have not already watched the Midi Mate setup video by oddbod on YouTube - go watch it NOW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qXIFSN5hM

This will set up your Wah/EXP pedal to work as #10 in the Axe.

1. Stereo cable from PEDAL OUT into the Midi mate.

2. Mono guitar cable from SWITCH OUT (on pedal) into PEDAL 1 (on the Axe).

3. Set AXE I/O - PEDAL 1 to LATCHING

4. On the Axe IO menu, check that EXTERNAL1 is set to 10

4. IN AXE I/O - set "Wahwah1 bypass" to PEDAL 1 (you can set any other controller's bypass as well to PEDAL 1)

5. ON MIDI MATE - go into CONTROLLER EDIT - Pedal - CONTROLLER ASSIGNMENT and set it to 10

6. ON MIDI MATE - RATE is set to 3 - I have no idea why or what this setting does - but 3 seems to work.

8. IN WAH BLOCK ON AXEFX - Turn off "auto engage" feature (if it was on) and have SOURCE set to EXTERNAL 1

9. ANY OTHER CONTROLLERS on the AXEFX you want to control from this pedal should be set to PEDAL 1 on the I/O Page and EXTERNAL 1 in the effect block controller setting. Like if some patches you want to use the exp pedal as a WHAMMY instead of a wah.

ALSO - from Stratcat:

Another way to check the calibration of EXP Pedals with the Midimate...

- go into controller edit
- go to PEDL and make a note of the setting (as you'll need to come back to this when you finish) - our example is "10"
- move the pedal. You should see it move from 0-127
- take the setting back to the one you noted above and exit from edit mode

This simply shows that the pedal is working ok into the Midimate, although there's no actual way to calibrate with the Midimate the way the Axe can.

It will also give you a very good indication of any wierd behaviour associated with the tip/ring connectors on the stereo cable needing to be reversed. (Which is actually a good thing to check anyway in cases like this as it's a fairly common problem).

If your pedal doesn't sound right - FLIP THE POLARITY SWITCH ON THE PEDAL.

OK got it and set this up with the midimate. Is there a way to not have to use another cable to run to the axe to use the wahwah toe button? I just want to use it as a regular wah that switch's on/off with the toe switch and only one cable going to the Midimate. how do i do this or can it be done?

Unfortunately this is not possible with the Midi Mate since it only has an expression pedal input, it does not have the facility to support a switch, so the configuration you have with the cable running back to the Axe is required. There are other MIDI controllers that do support both the switch and the pedal so you can run two short cables from the pedal to the controller. The Liquid Foot is one. The Roland FC-200 also has expression and switch inputs, and I believe there are several others. You need two cables to support both the switch and the expression pedal.

James

Sorry for the stupid noob question, but is the benefit of this pedal the ability to use it for 2 functions?
I.e. volume/expression pedal AND wah-wah when you engage the switch?

I have the HEX right now and it only controls the wah right now w/ auto engage.

Thanks in advance.

is anyone using this with their Liquid Foot? just want to know for sure that i would need to buy a cable like on page 77 of the manual for the pedal switch to work. Thanks

The benefit of this sort of pedal/switch is just for "toe-down" switching of the wah effect (or whichever effect you want to control).

A single switch alone (like in this pedal) can't really switch one effect off and then switch another on at the same time - e.g. as the Boss GT8/10 etc do when toggling between volume and wah.

(There's a couple of possibilities, just nothing terribly practical and may require manufacturer of Axe and/or midi controller and/or pedal to make changes).

Liquid Foot - there's a few possibilities with the cable here (I posted somewhere else about this but can't remember). Check with James first.

:cool:

Chris

Ahhh, OK.
So its more for those who don't like auto-engage feature, as opposed to having a volume AND wah pedal in one?

stratcat said:
The benefit of this sort of pedal/switch is just for "toe-down" switching of the wah effect (or whichever effect you want to control).

A single switch alone (like in this pedal) can't really switch one effect off and then switch another on at the same time - e.g. as the Boss GT8/10 etc do when toggling between volume and wah.

(There's a couple of possibilities, just nothing terribly practical and may require manufacturer of Axe and/or midi controller and/or pedal to make changes).

Liquid Foot - there's a few possibilities with the cable here (I posted somewhere else about this but can't remember). Check with James first.

Chris

You have it, the principle purpose of the pedal is to allow you to switch an expression based effect (like whammy or wah) from the expression pedal itself so you don't have to tap dance between foot controller and expression pedal if you don't like auto engage. The pedal and switch out are separate TRS connections so you don't need any Y cables or stereo to mono converters or anything like that. You do need to run two interconnects, one for the pedal, another for the switch. The LF supports up to four connections (EXP 1-4), enough for 2 SP-1's. What the switch in the pedal is used for is dependent only on the features of the MIDI device you connect it to. If the LF supports the ability to assign the switch to an effect change function rather than an effect on/off function, then that would work, but I am not sure if it does. I'm working with the LF guy at the moment to figure out what other things we can do.

Forum member ipressthebutton is using an SP1-R with the LF. Maybe he can comment some more.

James

James,

sorry in advance for this question...

if you're using a DPDT, could you hang an extra switch output from the other "throw" of the switch?

Not sure how practical this is for manufacturer or for user though (cabling madness!!!).

Chris

Hey Chris,

No apology necessary ;-)

The toe switch I use is actually a 3PDT and it would be quite straightforward circuit wise to put in a second switch output. There are a couple of issues I can see, one electrical and one mechanical. The electrical issue is that the state of the second output on the switch will be inextricable linked to the state of the first output. ie I can wire it so both switch outputs make simultaneously, or one output makes and the other breaks simultaneously but I can't wire it so you can individually control the states of the 2 outputs: When you press the switch, the states of both outputs will change. To individually control the states, I either need to put in a second switch (maybe a heel down switch?) or I could put in a second toggle switch that changed the behavior. It starts to be come a little complex to use at this point. Or make it some sort of programable device with power etc, but it becomes more of a controller than an expression pedal. The mechanical issue is just that the chassis I use is prefabricated with three jack openings 2 on the left and one on the right. This would work fine, but most people like to have all the jacks on the left side for cabling neatness. This would require a new chassis. The Manufacturer I use would require a minimum 200 order for this so there would have to be a pretty good demand to make the pedal affordable.

Did you have a particular use in mind that could use 2 switch outputs if they were linked in the way described above?

James

Here's a thought based on Mercury25's post. A different version of the pedal. Instead of a continuous and a switch output there are 2 continuous outputs. Connect to EXP1 and EXP2 on LF or Pedal 1 and 2 on the Axe. Assign 1 to volume and 2 to effect (wah, whammy whatever). Use the toe switch to switch between output 1 and output 2. This lets you use the same expression pedal for 2 different continuous functions and switch between them on the pedal. I could put a battery and a 2 state LED in there to indicate which output is enabled. Since the switch is now being used for channel switching you'd have to use autoengage or a controller switch for effect on/off. Any use to anyone?

J.

James,

I was just thinking of the ability to switch one thing off as you switch the other one on.

Your suggestion sounds a bit nicer/neater/more sensible. Nice thinking - I get how this would work and it makes perfect sense.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom