Anyone use the FM9 for an audio interface yet?

Thanks mate

I didn't know the sampling frequency was fixed at 48khz (assuming the FM9 will be the same?) ... I have a bunch of older sessions at 44.1khz, so that could be a challenge!

I may need a separate interface after all ...

Cheers

Doogz

I have used my FM3 with Pro Tools quite a bit. I haven't used the FM9 with it yet, but I expect the performance will be similar. It's got some latency, but I find it to be great for mixing with a larger buffer size, and good for recording with a smaller buffer if you don't have a bunch of tracks and/or plugins running. The fixed 48kHz sampling frequency has been a problem with some sessions, so I use a different interface that supports multiple sampling frequencies for those projects.

Thanks for that honest feedback. That could be a little problematic for me. I may need to not rely on this being an interface. Does the III have the same sampling rate and latency?

Thanks for that honest feedback. That could be a little problematic for me. I may need to not rely on this being an interface. Does the III have the same sampling rate and latency?
Yes, it also has the fixed 48kHz sampling frequency. I have used the III for recording via USB with Pro Tools, and the latency is similar to the FM3. It's definitely usable if you use high buffer settings when you have high track/plugin counts, though. You can record with the lowest buffer settings if you only have a few tracks and turn off the plugins.

I use a Digigrid IOS interface when I need lower latency and/or a different sampling frequency. I definitely prefer recording directly via USB with the Fractal whenever possible.

Honestly I just run all my sessions at 48k these days anyway :)

You can always record analog too if you need to use a different sample rate. I know it's not as cool, but I doubt my ears could hear the difference, given a clean preamp.

I read that the Axe III sends your dry guitar signal out of the number 4 output by default so you can record that along with the processed sound for reamping if you want to. Does the FM9 do that?

I read that the Axe III sends your dry guitar signal out of the number 4 output by default so you can record that along with the processed sound for reamping if you want to. Does the FM9 do that?
You can set up the grid however you want. Put output 2 in parallel right after your input 1 block and your dry will be sent to output 2. If you’re using FM9 as your interface, the dry input 1 is usb channel 5, so you can record your main outs with USB 1+2 and the dry on a separate track set to USB 5. Page 24 in the FM9 manual for more info.

I am using it as USB audio interface to play with amp modeling software but I can't figure out how to turn off dry signal monitoring. FM9 manual did not help. Did not have that problem with Helix and Focusrite.

I am using it as USB audio interface to play with amp modeling software but I can't figure out how to turn off dry signal monitoring. FM9 manual did not help. Did not have that problem with Helix and Focusrite.
See the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide. You probably just need to set the output 1 mode to "Mute".

What do you mean by the dry signal? The DI?

Can someone post a pic of FM9 edit preset that you would use to record the FM9 via USB?

That question doesn't make much sense because there is nothing special that one does to a preset to make it suitable for recording via usb. Just having an Out1 block at the end of your chain is all you need, and presets almost always have that anyway. You'll find recording instructions here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Back
Top Bottom