Anyone tried UHMWPE picks?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Per the sales pitch, this material is supposedly extremely tough & long lasting, and offers a very slick/smooth glide across the strings while at the same time being especially easy to grip (IIRC, I read that the texture sort of sticks to your hand as you sweat, could be wrong about that though). Most builders I see using this material are using it with VERY thick designs ranging from 5mm-14mm.

Just curious if anyone's given these a shot, and if so what are your thoughts?

Huf's picks are what got me interested (saw a WTB ad on a facebook guitar group, had to google it, here I am), but his prices... I get that R&D went into them, I get that some of these materials eat tools, but I'm leaning toward Brock's designs off Etsy. Plus, he'll do custom shapes. I'm used to an oddball size, Dunlop 208's... I have gorilla hands.

Cal, thanks for the vid. I like that it wasn't yet another shredfest with the gain dimed, and he gave a fairly in depth opinion. Sounds like it has more bite than what I was expecting based off other reviews - a good thing IMO to have a little of but not too much. I'll have to look into Winspear more. I recall seeing a thread of his about these picks on SSO.

I bought a tester pack of the winspear picks last year . saw them on SSO as the guy who makesthe m is an active memebr

I like the material. I havent used em for a while as I didnt love the taper they had. I rather a flatter surface to hold

I tried some winspear picks a while back. Some of the worst picks I've ever used. Sure, the taped may make them harder to drop, but the tone they produce is awful. The material is soft and has an almost muted attack. The tone is kinda like halfway between a regular pick and a felt ukulele pick. While playing they feel as though they could spontaneously dissolve in your hands.

Ordered some from BHL last night. I'll report back when they're in and I've had a chance to get familiar with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had some of the Windspear picks for about a year-and-a-half and I use them every now and then. I tend to prefer my Ultex Sharp .73mm though. I find the Windspears difficult to hold on to and keep in a good hand position due to the thickness and taper. They sound very good though. Gives everything a warm attack with an even tone, but with more clarity than some picks I've used. Going back and forth between my Ultex, I find the Windspear to be warmer with a slower attack. I got the variety pack or whatever, which came with 4 picks and I prefer the two smaller ones. Also, they are incredibly durable. I believe they'd last a very, very long time.

Back
Top Bottom