Anyone tried the Yamaha DXR12 for FRFR?

harsh

Inspired
I've been contemplating going FRFR, and went down to a big guitar store to try out some powered speakers. I actually went looking for the (apparently, best bang for buck) Alto TS112, but they didnt have a demo version. They had only a couple of options, but the Yamaha DXR12 seemed to sound pretty nice. Has anyone tried it, and compared it to other FRFR speakers? Does anyone know how it compares to the Alto, given it's over twice the price of the Alto?

Before someone says "you've paid so much for your Axe FX II, so go buy the RCF coz its the best"...etc., I need to stress that I am only looking for a <medium budget solution. Most of our shows are in small venues where amp+cab is a better option. I already have a great rig (VHT 2902, Mesa 2x12 cabs), but would also like the option of trying out FRFR for bigger venues where they have good PA's. Will the DXR12 with its 1100 watts be as loud as a cab for small venues, in case I want to replace my cab setup? Is there anything better in that price range (below £500) that I should look at?

Opinions please...thanks.

I tried one in the store (full range music only) and thought it sounded really good.

Can you compare it to the EV speaker in that price range? That's also a popular choice.

I spent a long time at GC demoing the EV vs the Yamaha, along with the JBL PRX612M and QSC K12, neither of which I liked. The EV and Yamaha were a tough call. Both were VERY nice. I felt that the factory presets (I'd just gotten the Axe) sounded great through both, with the Yamaha adding a bit more grit (or you could negatively consider it "fizz") to higher gain presets. The EV sounded a little more balanced and flat. I had a very tough time deciding which one I liked better. I took the EV home, though eventually did decide to return it and step up to the RCF (which is even more balanced and flat).

I didn't get a chance to try out the Altos. I think that either the Yamaha or the EV would be outstanding mid-range choices.

There's a spanner in the works. I was going to buy the Yamaha DXR12 tomorrow, but I've been offered a killer deal on a pair of used Alto TS115's. It's just too hard to pass up on this offer. I think I'll pick them up and try them out this weekend. I know they can't match the Yamaha, but is the Yamaha 3x better than the Alto? I'll post opinions soon.

There's a spanner in the works. I was going to buy the Yamaha DXR12 tomorrow, but I've been offered a killer deal on a pair of used Alto TS115's. It's just too hard to pass up on this offer. I think I'll pick them up and try them out this weekend. I know they can't match the Yamaha, but is the Yamaha 3x better than the Alto? I'll post opinions soon.

any verdict? I am in the market for some FRFR speakers...I have decent tube head and bogner cab with vintage 30's, but am really looking for a good stereo sound to monitor with. Heard the yamaha's are better than the qsc's and a good deal cheaper.

peace,
a

Just got a DXR12 yesterday - so far it's really good. It doesn't seem as "harsh" with the high frequencies as the month-old QSC K12 that died on me earlier this week. I will need to tweak some of my patches because of this but that's fine. As mentioned, it was also about $100 cheaper - always welcome! Hopefully this will last longer than a month! :roll

I have 2 of them and am very satisified; they are loud. I do like the multiple inputs allowing you to mix and the bass frequency cut-off switch is a very convenient feature.

Enjoy!
Jean.

I have 2 of them and am very satisified; they are loud. I do like the multiple inputs allowing you to mix and the bass frequency cut-off switch is a very convenient feature.

Enjoy!
Jean.

Can I connect the Axe in stereo only with one Yamaha?

You can connect two separate outputs to one speaker, but you would not get the stereo field separation that we all hear with 2 speakers. The only way to get that field separation is to have 2 speakers, unfortunately...

Jean.

I just bought a DXR10 yesterday, I tried the 12 a while before and liked it, and they didn't have a 12 when I went yesterday so I tried the 10 and for guitar I don't think the difference between 10 and 12 will be huge, I dunno. I liked the 10 playing it at the music shop. It's definitely loud enough for my needs playing small venues. I'll repost when I try it at my next gig in a week or two.

New competition for the DRX12

Hi, I just got a pair of EV ZLX -12P's to try. PROS - They go for $340 each(15 % off) about 1/3 the price of a Atomic CLR and are very loud and clear. Mine do not rattle or buzz. They are only 34.3 LBS. They are very versatile EQ-wise and the built -in mixing functions sound great. WHEN, they are mounted on poles and you have 2 of them. Cons - sounds really off axis or very limited sweet spot, with just one, especially when in the horizontal monitor position when compared to my FBT15MA powered coaxial monitor because they are NOT coaxial. BUT, I believe at this price point, mounted on pole or at least put sitting waist level vertically,(really helps to have 2 of them) they crank. I think they out perform the EV DXR12, on power, price, and weight, either way! Here are the EQ PRESET curves I liked MODE-LIVE AND MONITOR (verses pole) . Monitor position sounded flat compared to pole with my presets(go figure)? EV ZLX 12P specs 001 HORZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom