Anyone tried the Cakewalk UM-2G midi interface?

torkolort

Inspired
Hi,

First time i hooked up my axe fx to a computer was with my brothers laptop. I had never done anything like this before and had low expectations. Surprisingly everything just worked. I used the editor to upload presets to the axe fx and all seemed good. When I tried the exact thing at home I started getting bad checksum. I read the "How to: Bad Checksum errors & other transfer problems" and I've done everything except trying another midi interface. Since it worked the first time, why shouldn't it work on my computer, which is a lot better than my brothers laptop...with the exact same cables and the exact same interface and driver.

I tried to update the axe fx firmware. First when I pressed enter and the axe fx was waiting for file, when I started the transfer, nothing happened. I tried like 4-5 times and the last time I tried, it suddenly worked. The progress bar was displayed on the axe fx, but when the transfer was at 100% it just said bad checksum again....

SO I'm pretty sure that you guys are gonna tell me to get another interface. I just wish there was another solution :D There's plenty of other stuff I want to purchase rather than spending all my money on trying different midi interfaces :)

I actually originally ordered the Midisport 2x2 but since I'm from Norway I had to wait like forever to get it, so they suggested to accept the Cakewalk instead. They claimed it even was a little better than the midisport, but I have no idea.

André

torkolort said:
I tried to update the axe fx firmware. First when I pressed enter and the axe fx was waiting for file, when I started the transfer, nothing happened. I tried like 4-5 times and the last time I tried, it suddenly worked. The progress bar was displayed on the axe fx, but when the transfer was at 100% it just said bad checksum again....
Shut it all down, try again, running as little other software as you can.
If it still doesn't work, try another piece of software first: SendSX or MIDI-OX are two of the more popular Windows options. SysEx Librarian is a popular Mac option.

It's hard to say why it didn't transfer the first couple of times. But I'm guessing that the failure those first couple of times screwed it up for the last time where it did seem to transfer -- this is why I suggest shutting everything down first.

I use this interface with my Mac and the Axe-Fx. Plug and play. Works perfectly every time for me.

That's not particularly helpful, is it? :(

Back
Top Bottom