Anyone thrilled with their PRS SE?

I'm wondering about the tuning/nut issues you are experiencing on your SE DGT. I have an Paul's Guitar SE and the G string is sharp when fretting around the 2nd to 5th fret. I was thinking it could be an issue with the nut as well, though I've not attempted any changes yet.

I can push strings behind the nut and they go sharp and stay sharp. 4 out of 6 strings do that. It’s a nut issue not same as yours. The SE DGT frets are tall enough that I have to not squeeze as hard or I go sharp. The Paul’s guitar frets are not as tall but maybe you’re fretting too hard?

LT’s video sold me on the SE DGT. The SE’s seem to be well built. Good value and if you put new pickups in them and pots and switches you can end up with a nice guitar for less than an S2. For these prices you will be compromising but not everyone has the $$ to buy high dollar guitars. I could go nuts but I’m close to retirement and already have a few US guitars and a couple MIJ which I hold in high regard. All guitar runs will produce some stinkers. The odds of a US or MIJ guitar being bad are much lower than the odds you get from MII or MIC or Mexico. Best to try in person if possible. And go in being aware that you may need to upgrade some parts.

I'd agree with with skolacki - "all guitar runs will produce some stinkers." I bought two SE DGTs from online retailers, one burst and one GT, about 6 months apart. Both had nut issues: 1) The nut was too high, so open position chords sounded horribly out of tune. 2) The slots on the G, B, and high E strings caused the strings to bind - even after using nut lube. These two issues made the guitars unusable. After a bunch of working with them, I had the nuts replaced with new nuts with zero frets - now they are great. Literally every other aspect of the guitars was great - playability, electronics, and sound. Other than having to put money into getting the nuts right, I am very pleased with them.

Back
Top Bottom