Anyone successfully emulate a double tracked guitar?

Check the track out again - I changed the base delay time in the flanger block a little bit more and re-uploaded the track - I think the sim sounds a bit better now.

The patch is attached.

Attachments

• DoubleTrouble.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
hey that was pretty good. The double track sim clip L and R channels sounded a little off-centre though (left was more dominant - listening through headphones). Would you suggest also adjusting the amp level param to even it out

Yeah I change the EQ on the right amp so it's around 2dB uneven...I just noticed that on the meters. Yeah the amp level param should even it out.

Yeah I change the EQ on the right amp so it's around 2dB uneven...I just noticed that on the meters. Yeah the amp level param should even it out.

So, in regards to EQing the two amps, what is the key here? What do you do here?

So, in regards to EQing the two amps, what is the key here? What do you do here?

I just changed the tone controls slightly - more presence, less mids, a bit less treble...I don't know what I'm doing...:) Oh I also used a 57 mic on one of the paths in the cab (both sides use the same 4X12 citrus v30)

I guess just the same way you would change the EQ when double tracking.

I totally agree that a tually doing a real double track is the best.

However, when playing live the tricks in this thread can sound pretty cool.

I go one step further as I usually have different pickup or guitar sounds on either side usingJTV Variax.

I put different amp and cab on each side. Different EQ on amps. Delay on one side may be tape and the other analog. 20ms 100% wet delay on one side.
Put a tele with filtertron in neck position via variax models on one side, neck p rail set to p90 on other side and the difference is just a touch better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've unsuccessfully tried many of the tips provided in this thread.
Can we get any .syx preset examples uploaded to Axechange?

Please and thanks

I use the pitch block and set up the delay 10 left 14 right or different milliseconds depending on the sound I'm looking for. I use an envelope to control the pitch with a range of 3 to 10 and -3 to -10. with different sensitivity. I also pan hard left and right and it works pretty good. I wish we could attach a controller on the delay on the pitch block, may they'll do it later.

Here's a plugin that was announced by Waves at NAMM yesterday; the description might give a clue as to how one might approach doing this with the Axe-FX.

Waves Audio (booth 6824) has debuted Waves: Abbey Road Reel ADT, the first plugin to successfully emulate Abbey Road Studios’ pioneering process of Artificial Double Tracking.

ADT was the signature effect created at Abbey Road in the 1960s to meet the requirements of some very special clients: The Beatles. It is the most legendary of all Abbey Road tape effects and can be heard on countless historic recordings. Over the years, many recording engineers have tried to replicate the effect, but only with partial success. This is largely because a definitive description of the exact process used at Abbey Road has, until now, been a closely guarded secret.

ADT was invented to meet the Beatles’ unique recording needs. As the band’s success grew, so did their desire to find new ways of working, leading Abbey Road’s engineers to experiment with new technology. By 1966, the band had become frustrated with the need to continually re-record vocals to create multi-layered vocal effects. To solve the problem, Abbey Road engineer Ken Townsend created Artificial Double Tracking (ADT). By connecting the primary tape machine to a second, speed-controlled machine, two versions of the same signal could be played back simultaneously. And by gently wobbling the frequency of an oscillator to vary the speed of the second machine, the replayed signal could be moved around just enough to make it sound like a separate take. The introduction of ADT was a milestone in the history of sound recording, and the technique was used heavily on many recording sessions at Abbey Road Studios. John Lennon reputedly dubbed it “Ken’s Flanger,” which some say led to flanging becoming established as a technical term in studios around the world.

Reel ADT puts the magic of that era in your hands within seconds. Using its intuitive controls, you can advance or delay the doubled signal to achieve genuine delay and pitch variations. You can also drive each of the signals separately to add beautiful tape saturations. With its authentic modeled tape sound and faithful emulation of wow and flutter, this extraordinary plugin can enhance any track with the impression of two separate takes, giving you the closest possible results to real double tracking. All the character, depth and panoramic sound of this inimitable classic effect can now be created digitally, simply and for real: Reel ADT.

Mirek Stiles, Head of Audio Products, Abbey Road Studios, states, "From my time as an assistant engineer, I remember the setting-up of ADT as being a lengthy process, but totally worth it. Not only hearing, but also controlling ADT for the first time was amazing. Using the remote vari-speed on the tape machine, it was possible to add lush movements, stereo width and dramatic depth to almost any track. For the first time ever, Waves has captured not only the true sound of ADT, but also the feel of this classic effect."

Hey

I was emulate doubler guitar in early days ,whit Doubler X vst plugin. It was best plugin for that job ,what ever have made. Some lazy times ,I was just record one track and use that plugin.

Here is link for that plugin ,end of video you hear difference 1min 50 second is good example

How to double a track with Soundspectral DoublerX Guitar doubling - YouTube

And here is my quick test ,whit that doubler X plugin. I was record only one stereo track. It was fun to play whit that plugin because ,it was give real time feeling like there is another guitar player.

https://soundcloud.com/user127617997/doublerx-in-action

Last edited:
i just had an idea. So create a dual amp setup with each panned hard right/left. so here's the strange parta, what if you tone matched the dry signal of another guitar with a different pickup, then put that TM block before one of the amps. So therefore 2 different guitars would be heard going into 2 different amps. Maybe there's something to this... I have no idea lol

i just had an idea. So create a dual amp setup with each panned hard right/left. so here's the strange parta, what if you tone matched the dry signal of another guitar with a different pickup, then put that TM block before one of the amps. So therefore 2 different guitars would be heard going into 2 different amps. Maybe there's something to this... I have no idea lol

Yeah that would help - combine that with the modulated gain and delay and it may sound more convincing.

Back
Top Bottom