Anyone still using Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm yellow picks?

Some of the really heavy gauge BlueChip are $50. Most of them are $35. I live in Sweden, so the $35 ones end up around $50 when I get them. How silly that may seem, they are really awesome picks. I'm a heavy hitter, so they don't last as long for me as for other people.

But, they do sound awesome, wear very slowly, are easy to hold on to, and they have made me take leaps in my playing, I wouldn't have been able to do with the tight grip I have to have on picks made of conventional materials.

I am actually looking at a yellow Dunlop Ultex Sharp .90mm right now that I haven’t used since switching to the Primetone 1.4mm Jazz III.

P7bt9pt.jpg

It has been sitting there collecting dust for ages. I should move it, throw it away, or give it to someone.

Last edited:
Do you notice any difference in tone between Regular Ultex and sharp? I ordered regular Ultex online, and got sharp by mistake. Sometimes I like sharp for fast alternating string skipping, but find the tone in the pick attack to be weaker in general.
Not really. I just like the pointy tip for playing the fiddly bits.

I love 'em.

But lately I've been moving between 4 differents picks :
-JP Jazz III
-Ultex 1mm
-Tortex .88
-herco flex 75

I was using the small Jazz III for over 12 years when I decided to try something new.. since then, a few months ago, I've been switching here and there.

All of that to say, that changes, sometimes is welcomed difference!

Ultex, Primetone and a few others were on my list to try but I got stuck on ChickenPicks. Absolutely love their picks!

I was a Tortex 1.0 or 1.14 user for life until I ordered some Jazz XL Ultex picks. I love everything about them. Good size, decent point though not too much, the writing on the pick helps for a better grip! Best of all, they last WAY longer than the traditional Tortex picks, which I was constantly sharpening on the carpet because they would round over from playing. The BlueChips look interesting but I lose too many picks and would go broke if I was using those! :)

John Petrucci Flow 2.0. Tried them on a whim and have completely switched over from prime tone jazz III. Great picks.

I was using these for a while, but couldn't find them one day, and tried the JP Jazz IIIs. Been sort of stuck on those since.

A friend of mine gave me one of these recently:

https://www.purpleplectrums.com/products/the-blackmore

At first, I was sort of like "uh, thanks?" He insisted I try it, and I have to say, once you spend a little time playing with it, it's kind of cool. Works really well on my Les Paul.

I tried them but wandered to greener pastures. I used Eric Johnson Jazz III for a long time until I got tired of switching picks every time I switch guitars, electric to acoustic, which I do a lot during a gig.

Jazz III were too dark for acoustic single picking so I went on another pick quest and found a great compromise: Fender Tortuga mediums. They're stiff and just thick enough for electric work, and yet they sound great on acoustic (they don't clack like the Tortuga heavy). They're 351 size, which I don't like, so I cut them down to Petrucci size. I started with their Jazz 551 size, and adapted to that, but like the 351 cut to Petrucci better for use on both guitars.

I try other picks from time to time, but for fast stuff 1.14 Ultex Sharp is where it's at for me. Not ideal (nothing is), but the best I have found so far.

That said, I have this nagging suspicion that after 20+ years of playing guitar I still don't know shit about picks or picking. Gilbert plays with a bendy 0.5mm Tortex nowadays and he's easily twice as fast and more articulate on his worst day as I am on my best. I have the same exact pick. I don't understand how he does it. To me this means that if you "have it" then pick choice sort of doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try other picks from time to time, but for fast stuff 1.14 Ultex Sharp is where it's at for me. Not ideal (nothing is), but the best I have found so far.

That said, I have this nagging suspicion that after 20 years of playing guitar I still don't know shit about picks or picking. Gilbert plays with a bendy 0.5mm Tortex nowadays and he's easily twice as fast and more articulate on his worst day as I am on my best. I have the same exact pick. I don't understand how he does it. To me this means that if you "have it" then pick choice sort of doesn't really matter.
Gilbert plays .5mm ???? I had no idea. Maybe that’s with the makita drill attached?
Man, he must hold the pick at the very point.
He’s definately not an economy picker either. His alternate picking is lightning fast

Nope, even when not using the drill. He's been playing thinner, more flexible picks for many years now.

Back
Top Bottom