Anyone running there Axe through a 1x12 tube combo

WannaRock

Hello, I have several tube amps, most I am selling. As a I await the arrival of the Ultra. I sit and think, I had origionally thought about running my new fractal through my JVM410 but the more I think about it. I really like that amp just the way it is. I have a couple more options. One is a Windsor head into a 4x12 and the other is a nice little Randall 1x12 combo that I keep upstairs. If I skip the preamp of the Randall and just use the power tube section and the Ultra, do you think it will sound pretty good. The Randaall has two NOS russian millitary 6L6 variants in it. I have had really good luck running the gt-10 like it. Anyway if you use a 1x12 with your fractal and have had good or bad luck, please let me know. thanks

I am fortunate to have a couple of different setups that I use, one is with a 57 Tweed Deluxe and a Marshall Class 5 in stereo. Used to be two Class 5s but after I got the Deluxe the Class 5s are out as the Deluxe is just so full, fat and sweet. Using the Axe to push or "saturate" the Deluxe sounds fantastic. Using a PEQ to do some midboosting, and either a RAT or a Shred Distortion for leads. Now though with 11, I may just go FRFR completely. I have two EV ZXA1s that I´m also very happy with. Will decide shortly.

It sounds really good through a Mesa MarkV 1x12 combo. I have it in 4 cable mode so I can use an AxeFx preset without amp and cab blocks just effects for the MarkV's own sounds or select any preset without an effects loop block in it and the whole signal chain runs through the MarkV's power section automatically muting the MarkV's preamp section.

Makes for a really versatile rig.

Last edited:
i use my ultra in front of my port city pearl amp and it sounds amazing. the port city is a 50 watt head and i run it into a port city os 1x12 cab. the axe fx really works well with this port city rig. the only negative thing i can say about the axe fx is that (to me) that there are maybe 3-5 good sounding, useable drive blocks. i think if cliff added another couple of boutique od pedals it would be perfect. i'm mostly a clean type of player (jazz, fusion, funk, r&b) and tried to go frfr last year and it just didn't work out.

Glad to see

I am glad to see there are some happy 1x12 users out there. I have a bad back and heavy gear is not in my future. I like the idea of having a kick A 1x12. My Randalls preamp need some fine tuning. I think it has far to much treble for me, but I do like the power section of the amp alot. I am glad to see some others having good luck and can't wait for mine to arrive. Thanks for your comments guys.

I have a Randall RM20 that I have used on occasion with the Axe. Mainly for the axe to provide a few effects right into the input. Works great for that. My only problem with it is I was carrying my rack, rm20 and 1x12. My rack was bigger than the other two pieces. Just didn't make sense. I finally put together a minimal pedal board for my rm20. Which is basically collecting dust as it is.

this is the pedalboard that my axe fx replaced

DSCN0101.jpg

I am glad to see there are some happy 1x12 users out there. I have a bad back and heavy gear is not in my future. I like the idea of having a kick A 1x12.

If you don't want or can't carry too much weight (like me), try the Koch Studiotone combo. 15 kgs (33 lbs), 20 W class A, more volume than you could think of in this kind of amp. I use the Axe in its loop return or straight to input as a pedalboard (lots of pedalboards, should I say). You can't go wrong with the Axe + good combo combination: incredible sound, quality and versatility in the smallest package.

the axe fx can basically do anything that this board can do.... but better! the only thing that the axe fx doesn't really have is something like that barber small fry pedal (which is one of the most amazing sounding, versatile pedals you'll ever hear). you can get somewhat close if you stack a couple of low gain od's but it's still not quite the same as what the small fry can do

Back
Top Bottom