Anyone recorded the AX8 / Axe FX with Zoom handheld recorder?

Megaman9

I am looking for a simple solution for recording that does not require a PC. The Zoom recorders came to mind but I was wondering if anyone has experience and can comment on the quality he is getting with those things?

Zoom H5 or H6 are fine. Recorded hundreds of rehearsals and gigs.

Tascam is better but more expensive.

I have one that I use for rehearsals. Works fine. I wouldn't "publish" anything from it, but if you're using as an evaluation tool or to just capture ideas, they're pretty good and miles better than your cell phone.

I use the built-in mics on the Zoom to record the live band all the time. Afterwards, I take the .wav files, upload to the Macbook Pro, and master them using Studio One Pro Mastering Tools. The result sounds really great!

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Like others, I have recorded lots of rehearsals and gigs with a Zoom H4n.
I put in in the center of the room to get everything...move it a little closer to my CLR if I want "more me".
Kind of amazing at how well it picks everything up.
Also gigs from the audience perspective turn out good. The built in stereo mics work really well.
I've also used it as a stereo recorder coming off a mixer. Works great for that too but everything is harder cause its so small.

You could even use a Mobile phone with a lossless audio format recording app. Not that Zooms have better microphones.

I'm pretty happy with the Zoom Q2n-4k. Definitely much better audio than my iPhone phone. Easy to use. Most of the playing starts around the 00:45 mark. The lighting in my room is crappy so the video has a yellow tint. The audio is using the Zoom's mics and is capturing my Yamaha monitors on the desk and an Atomic CLR on the floor at around 90 dB.

Manually changing scenes on the unit before the wonderful FC-12 arrived :)

I should have mentioned that I am looking for opinions on the sound quality when connecting the AX8 to the XLR inputs...

Back
Top Bottom