Anyone played US gigs as a non-American?

Cainer

Experienced
I'm Canadian and likely have the opportunity to play some US gigs - anyone have any experience traveling into the States to play gigs, and what sort of documentation/rigamarole you need to go through? Appreciate any experiences anyone can share,

Cheers!

Yup, I've done the Toronto-Buffalo crossing a bunch of times to play in upper state NY. For paid work you usually need a P2 work visa to play down here. Here's a pretty good outline of the process: http://www.cfmusicians.org/services/work-permits

Most of the crossings were uneventful. Once we had all our gear searched. And once we got turned back because our drummer had something on his record (and he didn't want to talk about it...but he eventually got it expunged). Give yourself lots of time going over in case they decide to do a cavity search.

I played as EU resident some gigs for a US artist. I think that what Ian suggested in his post is what you need to know.

Yup, I've done the Toronto-Buffalo crossing a bunch of times to play in upper state NY. For paid work you usually need a P2 work visa to play down here. Here's a pretty good outline of the process: http://www.cfmusicians.org/services/work-permits

Most of the crossings were uneventful. Once we had all our gear searched. And once we got turned back because our drummer had something on his record (and he didn't want to talk about it...but he eventually got it expunged). Give yourself lots of time going over in case they decide to do a cavity search.

Thanks! Were you involved in applying for the P2 permit? Do you remember how the process went/how long it took? Just trying to figure out how far in the future I'd have to safely book gigs so that I'd have realistic time to get a permit.

This is interesting and timely. We played at a wedding on Sunday evening for a lovely couple. The bride is from New York and they are going to re-create the wedding in Manhattan in June for all the friends and family who could not make the trip to the UK. They have said they want us to be there to play for them. It is all very exciting but we are not counting on it until it happens.

We think they will cover our expenses such as flights and hotel but there will be no gig fee per ce. Would we still need the P2 permit as it is a one off gig and we are not being paid?

Also, even though it hasn’t been confirmed 100%, we have started to think about the logistics of it all. It is clear we can’t ship all our gear over and we have to make some choices about what we would try to bring and what we would try and hire locally. Obviously we would need to hire backline and PA but I have to decide on whether to bring a guitar with me or hire something. I hope I might have an AX8 by June so I could bring that as hand luggage so I could play into the PA and forgo my backline.

We can obviously trawl the internet for hire firms, but I wondered if any of the collective had any experience hiring guitars and backline either in New York or the USA generally, or had and suggestions or advice.

Thanks! Were you involved in applying for the P2 permit? Do you remember how the process went/how long it took? Just trying to figure out how far in the future I'd have to safely book gigs so that I'd have realistic time to get a permit.
I wasn't. The band's management took care of it for us. We just carried the paperwork with us when we drive down. I'm going from distant memory here but we knew about the gigs at least 60 days before we made the crossing so presumably they were working on the visas at least 60 days before as well.

Would we still need the P2 permit as it is a one off gig and we are not being paid?

No clue, sorry. Visa requirements are different from country to country. Depends on what the UK and USA have negotiated.

If you weren't traveling with a ton of gear and you weren't getting paid you might be able to cross on a B2 tourist visa. But I'd consult an immigration lawyer or the US consulate in Britain some place.

Back
Top Bottom