Anyone play and tweak standing up?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
How are you set up physically to do that?

Back in my Helix days, I just set it on top of a cheapo rolly drawers thing, worked great, since the edit UI was on top.

Lately I've been sitting down, which actually makes the guitar a lot more stable, and lets me use either mouse or front panel somewhat easily, but what if I want to stand up, like I would at a jam or a gig? Just for the feel of it, so it wasn't completely foreign if such a thing should happen someday.

I definitely stand (occasionally). If you're using a power amp and cab, definitely position yourself the way you would on stage, cab behind you several feet so that you'll hear exactly what it sounds like on stage. Same with wedges pointed up at your head. On stage you'd probably be standing.

If you're using studio monitors, make sure you're in the proper listening position, whether that's seated or standing.

I definitely stand (occasionally). If you're using a power amp and cab, definitely position yourself the way you would on stage, cab behind you several feet so that you'll hear exactly what it sounds like on stage. Same with wedges pointed up at your head. On stage you'd probably be standing.

If you're using studio monitors, make sure you're in the proper listening position, whether that's seated or standing.
This, exactly. In the past I've stood, FRFRs on stands, as of I was gigging or jamming.

My question is, how do you set up your gear so you can work on your patches from there, in live gig position?

Last edited:
This, exactly. In the past I've stood, FRFRs on stands, as of I was giving out jamming.

My question is, how do you set up your gear so you can work on your patches from there, in live gig position?
I do have a studio buildout in my garage. Contractor did the room-in-a-room thing.

Prior to that, I was using the spare bedroom (not technically a room, but more of an extension) as an office/workspace. I would just tweak on monitors, mute them, stand up and move into playing position and play, and tweak from there. I would be facing away if it was a guitar cabinet. I would put the wedge either in a staging position to simulate its location/position on a gig as well. The thing is, it really does make a difference to do the extra legwork so it translates live.

I use this on stage. I have my Axe 3 sitting on this with a laptop on top of it.

Universal Laptop Projector Tripod Stand - Computer, Book, DJ Equipment Holder Mount Height Adjustable Up to 35 Inches with 14'' x 11'' Plate Size - Perfect for Stage or Studio Use - PylePro PLPTS2 Amazon product ASIN B003GEJ5PI

Evodesk sit/stand desk when in the studio; I stand most of the time. Laptop on top a small rolling desk when in practice space. Files between areas connected by dropbox.

How are you set up physically to do that?

Back in my Helix days, I just set it on top of a cheapo rolly drawers thing, worked great, since the edit UI was on top.

Lately I've been sitting down, which actually makes the guitar a lot more stable, and lets me use either mouse or front panel somewhat easily, but what if I want to stand up, like I would at a jam or a gig? Just for the feel of it, so it wasn't completely foreign if such a thing should happen someday.
I play stamding up all the time. My unit is at chest level and I tweak on it. I only hook up to my computer for downloads.

What's your Axe on/in that has it at standing chest height?
A rackmount that sits on my hip height, made from 3ft x 2ft storage shelves table. I sit my FM3 on there as well on one of those small triangle shape guitar stands. My computer sits 6 feet away on a normal desk.

Back
Top Bottom