Anyone nailed a good 8-string tone, that want to share?

Norstorm

Ya, I'm having huge problems tweaking a good djent/bulb tone, using the RG2228 from Ibanez.

I'm more or less on the same path as Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders.
I got the sweet bread list of amps and such that Absi uses, but for some reason I can't get it right..
The punch is there, but the "tone" is wrecked it seems.. Doesen't sound lice at all.

I used to tweak with PODs a few weeks ago, and the axe has a lot of deep-tweaks I haven't seen before..
So I thought I would check out other peoples presets from Meshuggah, Animals As Leaders, Periphery, or what not, and study the tweaks...

Patches would be welcomed with awe..

Rock on dudes and dudettes..

I would love to help. I have nailed an amazing djent tone and a really good djent tone. Those presets sound AMAZING on my 7-string, but I'm just having trouble nailing the tight low end and low palm mutes on the 8 string. I tune like tosin on the 8-string (EBEADGBE) so that obviously lower than the 8 string usually is. And just for reference, I have an agile intrepid pro 828 w/ the EMG808

Not sure what a "bread list" is, but if you have any info regarding the poweramp, cabinets, mics, etc... that Tosin uses I would be willing to give it a shot.

Just finished finals, so now I have some proper time to commit to making some awesome tones.

I'm trying to get the tosin tone as well, so lets work together on this one.

Tosin uses a dual setting..

I am currently using the same tuning as you and Abasi, with active 808's.

Amp 1: Das Metall
Amp 2: Fas Crunch

Abasi said:

"I’m into blending tones, so for my clean I blend two amps, and then for the distortion I blend two, as well. I’ve been using the Diezel VH4 [Das Metall] setting, which is very mid-rangey, but still has that modern rapid bass response, that tight, focused low-end. I’ll blend that with a more organic amp, like the Fractal model called Crunch. It’s like a very driven tube preamp, so I’ll just crank the mids on that and create a balance between the two. It sounds pretty good."

Alright, here you go. Hope you don't mind a text version of this patch. It's all I can manage at this time. Also, this is for Ultra users only, as there is some multiband going on, and this patch does not sound the same without it.

Drive - T808 OD
Drive - 0
Tone - 5
Level - 10
Mix - 100

Amp 1 - Fryette D60 M
Drive - 4.06 (boost on)
Bass - 1.73
Mid - 7.99
Treb - 5.94 (boost on)
Pres - 1.65
Depth - 6.77
Damp - 2.40
Master - 4.96
Level - neg 3

Amp 2 - Energyball
Drive - 3.50 (boost on)
Bass - 5
Mid - 7.76
Treb - 5.91 (bright on)
Pres - 2.44
Depth - 5
Master - 3.5
Level - neg 3.00

Cab - Mono HiRes 4x12 Recto2 (no mic)

Chorus - 2 voice
Rate - 0.523
Depth - 39%
Mix - 35%
Mix - 35% (play around with this to suite your tastes)
Lfo phase - 180
Lfo type - Triangle

Multiband Compressor

Freq 1 - 138
Thresh - 18.6
Freq 2 thresh - 36.5
Freq 3 thresh 29.9

--drv--amp1--cab------chorus------------------------
------\ amp2 / \ multiband-----------------------

Hope that awesome layout art above ^ helps you out. Lemme know what you think. :)

Well, I figured I could manually enter all these settings into AxeEdit for you to make things simpler. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• I like turtles.syx
    2 KB · Views: 335
Norstorm said:
Nice patch.. Thanks.

I lowered the mids boost on the amps, and boosted mids on the drive block.. Kicks ass...

Glad you found it useful. I tried lowering the amp mids and boosting the mids in the drive block and it really opened up the attack of the notes. Cool stuff. :)

slothy one said:
Sounds awesome, even on my standard (without the multiband compressor)

Thanks man. Even though it does sound good without, it sounds a lot better, to me, with the multiband. It really tightens up the bass and keeps it in check, yet still remains punchy. I might see what kind of tricks I can work up for you standard users, with some clever use of filters, peq's, compressors and parallel routing. :cool:

Ya, it really helped me out..

Trying to see the whole frequency chain devided..
I'm gonna try playing with it for a while.. See if I can't learn how to tweak it on other amps and so forth :)

Thx again..

The more patches.. the better :)

Thanks man. Even though it does sound good without, it sounds a lot better, to me, with the multiband. It really tightens up the bass and keeps it in check, yet still remains punchy. I might see what kind of tricks I can work up for you standard users, with some clever use of filters, peq's, compressors and parallel routing.

That would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thanks.

slothy one said:
I would love to help. I have nailed an amazing djent tone and a really good djent tone. Those presets sound AMAZING on my 7-string

Any chance of sharing these patches? ;)

Excellent patch biggness,

I love how much you can learn and pick up ideas from other peoples patches. The chorus for example is a great touch for this case..... I'll be playing with the multiband comp a lot more too....

samvallen said:
Excellent patch biggness,

I love how much you can learn and pick up ideas from other peoples patches. The chorus for example is a great touch for this case..... I'll be playing with the multiband comp a lot more too....

Thanks man. I, too, love looking at others' patches. It's a great way to learn the unit, and also can inspire you to create new sounds.

I'll try to post one of those patches tomorrow.

Any chance you could modify that patch for us standard users biggness, please?

slothy one said:
I'll try to post one of those patches tomorrow.

Any chance you could modify that patch for us standard users biggness, please?

Alright, here is an attempt that I have built in AxeEdit while I am away from my Axe. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, so there is a possibility that it may sound horrid. I will eventually load it up and tweak it, but in the meantime, here it is. :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x8slg3jbq789848

EDIT: ----------------------------------------------------
Alright, I tested out that first patch and it did indeed sound horrific. :lol: So, with trying to keep in mind what you Standard users are limited to, I concocted what I could. lol I think it actually came out sounding better than what the Ultra does. :eek:

Things to keep in mind:

- Adjust the drive pedal's mid control to suit the amount of attack that you desire
- Adjust the bottom PEQ's level to determine your bass.
- Adjust the chorus mix to however you like it.

All in all, that is about it. Let me know you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i7bxx8wdb6fpbpm

Back
Top Bottom