Anyone know how to get this compressed overdriven tone?

torkolort

Inspired

I really like the tone from 4:45. It's pretty different from Petrucci's standard live tone, I think there's a big difference in the overdrive and it sounds much more compressed. Does he use a compressor? I thought he only used that for cleans.

No I don't think it has anything to do with the volume knob. But it could be the way it's recorded. This is from 1998 so it's quite old. Or maybe he used some different gear on that live album, it doesn't sound like his standard Mark IV or IIC+ settings.

I'm not a Dream theatre- or petrucci fan, but for me my favourite tones from him was from the time he used his mulitcolored (yeah I don't know what it's called)
Ibanez: The definition is so articualte and clear, you can hear the beautiful picking going on, not being harsh or anything. The sound of the pick really stands out but
it's a good thing. I don't see that in many guitarsounds. Acctually one of my favourite guitarsounds. It's so smooth and all that jazz.

1:53 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about:

Sorry if this is out of thread, maybe it's another nice sound of him to discuss. What you posted sounds compressed though, listen to to the low notes in that clip of yours.
Typical mud going on likely from a compressor. If it's way muddy for rythm it rocks for lead! hehe. The rhythmtone can be shit in a good leadtone.
It's all about high single sustaining notes vs short lownotes. They have mud in em, but lead sings like a flower during rain.

Last edited:
I'm with cobrango - those were the tones I loved from petrucci.
There could be a compressor in there, but with the amount of gain in there, it may just be the natural compression of distortion. I won't doubt there's one of those tonebone pedals in play there. Also sounds like he switched on a wah for filter effect.

+1*on lead tones being horrible for rhythm and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom