Anyone know how Mackie SRM 450s sound?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Just asking because there the cheapest option I have ;)

Basically Id dismissed Mackies as I didnt think they were that good (admittedly the V1s and It was some years ago I tried them).

Still, In the UK we get stiffed on prices. Here are my options:

1. SRM 450s - £500
2. RCF 322a - £650
3. RCF 722 a - £970
4. QSC K12 - £750
5. QSC HPR 112i £800

Now, Im not that keen on the 122s because of the weight. I could get a Pair of the SRMs for the price of the best option Ive found (the 722as). I have the K12s down as my first choice at present - BUT - I may not be able to stretch to them. If I cant are are the SRM 450s worth a punt over the RCF 322as? Similar specs although the 322s have 2" compression drivers rather than 1.75" - but the K12s are 1.75" so ???? Power wise there both 400W (300W/100W) and similar SPLs (127 for SRMs, 128 for 322s). So are they going to be any good If I cant stretch to the K12s? or are they not up to use with the Axe?

I will need them to act as backline at smaller gigs whatever I get (pub type gigs, maybe 100 to 150 people tops) anything bigger and its just for monitoring.

I have no experience using 450s with an AxeFx, but I've read enough negative commentary on this and other boards that I wouldn't consider them. It would probably be worth the extra money to bump up to the 322As or something different. But YMMV.

I have both the Mackie 450 (used to use for voice) and a QSC122i

Doing a side by side I found the mackie's to have less punch, less depth, less reality

Hope that helps

Yeh that does help.

The 122s are probably not for me as I said - there too heavey really.

BUT, I have seen a review (although only one) of the Art 322s against the 122s. I would like to see how the 450s OR 122s compare withthe K12s though. I think that would fill in all the gaps in comparisons.

I owned SRM450s. They were nice for synths and vocals but didn't feel right for guitar.
I haven't updated my sig, but while I wait for the Atomics, I'm playing through a pair of full range 1x12 Boogafunks.

I sold the SRM450s to a bellydancing troupe.

GuitarDojo said:
What about the FBT verve 12Ma's at your location?

Thought about them, but Im gonna have to run my FRFR as backline in smaller gigs where the PA is inferior and only vocals going through it. The 12ma isnt going to be great for that for two reasons
:

1. The O/P isnt up to the same SPLs as the others (all between 127 and 131 - the 12mas are only 123) so wont carry the room (not expected to - there real monitors after all).

2. As a real monitor, the shape of the box isnt as good for sound disemination to FOH (ie when used as backline).

As the K12s are only £50 more- and the 322s £50 less I cant see the 12mas being my best option - however good they might be sound quality wise.

Back
Top Bottom