Anyone in Nor-Cal have an Axe FX II? Where are you playing?

Pinkycramps

Experienced
I live in Sacramento (Folsom to be exact) and I am GASing for one of these. I just bought a GSP1101 recently (cuz it was dirt cheap on ubuy.. and it's... well... Meh. I mean it's ok, but I'm still new with it. I have to say the first time I plugged into the power section of a combo amp, I was pretty impressed. Still... It is different than a real amp, and it reminds me alot of my Line 6 toys. I pracitce quite a bit using an old Line6 guitar port and a laptop with some monitors (cool bedroom tones at low volumes) and the GSP1101 sounds alot like that to me. (Clarification: it sounds better.. but in the same catagory. I can tell it's Solid State. I'm not feeling it the way I want to.

So... now I'm back to looking at the AxeFx again.. in hopes to satisfy my tone wants and downsize my too-big-gig-rig.

AXE FX sounds like a winner to me... saves weight, less gear to haul, many tones.. blah blah. But .. I really want to hear one live before I sell anything to scrape together about 3G for a new unit + power amp.

So.. anyone playing out in Nor Cal with one of these things? I'd love to come hear it!

Thanks peeps.

My band (King Never) is playing at the Blue Lamp on the 18th. Doors open at 8pm. I'm using the Axe2 through a 2x12 cab.

I live in Rocklin and have had the Fx II since November. I also bought the GSP1100, played it for about a week and boxed it up. Was not impressed at all. The Axe Fx II is a completely different beast. The tones in this thing far surpass anything the GSP can do.

I'm still trying to dial in my sound...I'm a tone snob, and have been a bit frustrated with trying to get what I'm looking for. Just FYI, I purchased a Matrix GT1000FX to run into PA speakers (FRFR) and haven't been happy with my Classic Rock tones. The closest thing I can get is to run through my Mesa Boogie Simul 2:90, into a pair of 1x12 cabs. THAT configuration works pretty well, but I haven't been happy with the whole FRFR set up.

One of the things I've noticed on this forum is that many of the users are into Metal, and the Axe does those tones to a tee. I'm more of a Classic Rock kinda guy and I'm finding it harder to nail those tones. I'm certain it's possible, (because I've seen Axe FxII videos on YouTube that nail them) but it's just taking me a little longer than I anticipated.

I have to say, the folks out on this forum are amazing! Very, very helpful, and really patient with us newbies. Just don't ask when the new version of Axe-Edit is going to be released.. LOL :)

I'm happy to share my experiences with you, just PM me and we can chat. Also, let me know if you plan to get out to see finleysound on the 18th, and we could meet up and have a beer.

Cheers,

Shawn

Another SacTown Fx'r checking in. I think what you want to audition is the speakers. The AxeFX is extremely versatile and will most likely generate the tones you want. I use the AxeFX primarily for recording although I do have some QSC's. Better options have since come to market. When finances allow I would get a matrix power amp and some passive JBL's. Spend some time in the speakers/cab section.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I think I will come see you guys! ( and the axe). It will be the first time hearing one too ( that I know of).

I've been working with my 1101, and I am getting some decent tone from it. I'm running it into the loop return of my Mark V. It's a good amp, but I just couldn't tame it for my bands set list. We play 90's rock mostly. ( the band is former members of One Headlight and Far From Gone, two Sacramento cover bands. ) I know that the snax stomps all over the digi though ... Can't wait to hear it. I'll come say hi!

Okay guys, we are hitting the stage sometime between 9 and 9:30pm. We only have a 30 minute set.

Hope to see you there!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom