Anyone here from Lake Tahoe?

I'm in Placerville.... Next to no snow here, but 5 miles east they are dumped on!
Sounds like here in Denver - the mountains have gotten a decent amount of snow (not like Tahoe though), but down here we've had practically 0 precipitation for months.

16 feet is some serious flakes. How do you even deal with that? No homeowner has tools that can cope with it. Just wait until spring?

That "Masks required" sign should say "Snorkels required." Bummer to not be able to ski because of too much snow.

You wouldn't let it get that high before you knocked it down with the blower. You'd be out a few times to manage it.
A few like 8 times, assuming your blower could handle 2 feet of snow, which I think is optimistic in my case. But I've dealt with more than 2 feet total, by rocking it back and taking off the top layer, then dropping it back down for another layer below.

And you're right, you do what there is part way through the storm, so it doesn't get too high to deal with.

Still, 16 feet of snow is a serious project, any way you slice it.

Last edited:
A few like 8 times, assuming your blower could handle 2 feet of snow, which I think is optimistic in my case. But I've dealt with more than 2 feet total, by rocking it back and taking off the top layer, then dropping it back down for another layer below.

And you're right, you do what they're is part way through the storm, do it doesn't get too high to deal with.

Still, 16 feet of snow is a serious project, any way you slice it.

I live in a snowbelt area, and snow is one funky thing to measure. Since it is crystalline
in structure it's depth/height is always at its peak immediately after it falls. It does start
to cave in and collapse on itself, and diminish in depth over time.

Snow is more air than water.

Not saying that is NOT a lot of snow.... just not as much as it may seem from a meteorological
view.

But yeah, 16' and you might be climbing out the 2nd floor window just to get out of the house. :)

It's because I'm not going skiing there this year.

'10 at Squaw Valley, hadn't seen fresh snow for weeks before we got there. After we left they had a dump like now where they had to shut the chairs down to dig them out.

'13 at Heavenly wasn't bad, nothing special. Think it rained in '14. '15 I didn't even bother going on the mountain, went hiking instead, all Heavenly had was man-made stuff on the lower portion.

'16 we changed to Big Sky MT, no luck there. '17 Zermatt Switzerland was all crusty. '18 Jackson Hole WY was a sheet of ice. '19 Whistler BC was super cloudy and foggy the whole time. '20 Chamonix France was nice weather but no fresh snow, rained one day.

Best wishes to anyone out that way 🌨️

<dark humour alert>

Donner Pass kind of makes sense now, eh? Can't imagine enduring a winter traverse with livestock, horses,
women, children, and covered wagons. Tragic!

I am guessing none of the people living there now will have to eat their own this winter.

Last edited:
Sounds like here in Denver - the mountains have gotten a decent amount of snow (not like Tahoe though), but down here we've had practically 0 precipitation for months.
I'm in Boulder and we've had barely a snowflake yet this season! In a normal season I've had to shovel the driveway at least once by now.

Back
Top Bottom