anyone here assembled their own cab?

Bushy

Inspired
I've read about the FRFR speaker coming out from Celestion? I'm curious if that would actually need an amp (like with a regular guitar combo) to power up or is the amp in the FRFR pedal?

If yes, so all I'd need is really an empty speaker cabinet? I wanted to see if I could simply remove the speaker from my Peavey Rage 258 and replace that with an FRFR speaker, but since it's an 8" and the FRFR speaker from Celestion is a 12", that wouldn't fit in the cab, plus the Peavey Rage 258's "amp" is only wired as an 8 ohm for 25 watts, etc.

I've read about the FRFR speaker coming out from Celestion? I'm curious if that would actually need an amp (like with a regular guitar combo) to power up or is the amp in the FRFR pedal?

If yes, so all I'd need is really an empty speaker cabinet? I wanted to see if I could simply remove the speaker from my Peavey Rage 258 and replace that with an FRFR speaker, but since it's an 8" and the FRFR speaker from Celestion is a 12", that wouldn't fit in the cab, plus the Peavey Rage 258's "amp" is only wired as an 8 ohm for 25 watts, etc.
Yes, it would need an amp... How else would you expect to hear it?

You would definitely need an amp. And probably a tweeter too if you wanted FRFR, which means you will also need some sort of cross-over.

There is a huge science when it comes to the internal design of a cabinet, the FRFR will reflect sounds very differently to a normal guitar cab speaker, so I'm not sure converting a standard guitar cab to FRFR will yield great results. That said, I've never actually tried it so.....!

Hi,
If it's really a single speaker aimed at being a driver for frfr cabs, it's probably a 12 inch coaxial driver - ie a 12 inch woofer with a horn driver in the centre as a tweeter. If I was doing it, I'd include an amplifier for the woofer, an amplifier for the tweeter, a crossover to send the lows to one amp, and the highs to the other, and a power supply to feed it all. Along with handles, grills, adjusting pots, switches, connectors and hardware, you'd be much better off just buying a frffr speaker!
If it's not, then please move along :)

Edit: curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up - sure enough, it's a coax speaker however it has a passive crossover built in, so it could be powered with just a single amp. Looking at the frequency plot, I'm not sure how it'll sound though... It's nowhere near flat.... I guess you'll just have to buy one and let us know!
Thanks
Pauly

The info on the Celestion F12 X200 has been available since Jan... it's also 5 threads down on the main amp page ;)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/celestion-f12-x200.138674/

Even though it's coax, the F12-X200 has taken an approach to it that is unique in that it is the only coax that has been designed with a guitar speakers architecture in mind. A common motor approach where the woofer and tweeter share the same magnet makes it a coax whereas the higher cone angle, lighter cone and suspension lend more to guitar driver design. The best of both worlds!

I think Celestion is calling it FRLR... Full Range Live Response where their intent was to create a hybrid coax/guitar driver that has a Full Range frequency response but a more Live Response while playing it owing to the strengths of both approaches.

You'd definitely need an amp to power the speaker.

I also assembled my own speaker cabs to utilize cab sims. I used 2 1x12 cabs (empty) from Palmer and loaded them each with a Fane Sovereign 12-250TC. So far, so good. The cabs are open back, but I am going to close them up.

I am very curious about the Celestion F12-X200, and hope it becomes available sooner than later. I've also read good things about the Celestion K12H-200TC being used for guitar amp modelers.

Back
Top Bottom