Anyone have some compressor settings for clean sustain

james...

Experienced
Cause the ones on the wiki aren't doing it for me. I mean don't get me wrong, they're alright. But I feel like they're seriously lacking.

Anyone have their own settings they like?

I personally find the Axe FX Comps fairly lack lustre.... I'd love it if Cliff could reverse engineer the Comps from the G.System/Nova System which i think are awesome, so musical! I haven't been able to reproduce anything close with my Ultra.

Mind you, i only use it on my Cleans, my Dirts sure don't need it...

For now, the best compression I have achieved with my Ultra is using two, or even three compressors in series (each set rather moderately). This is not a new trick - engineers have been doing this with studio compressors all the way back to the 50s to achieve more compression with less unnatural artifacts. I have suggested that Cliff add a new compressor model that has this type of 'series compression' technology, but it remains to be seen if it will happen. I have also suggested that all compressor blocks include a tone control (highs boost/cut), to compensate for the typical tonal changes that result from using compression.

As a starting point for you maybe, yesterday I used two compressors in series:

Comp1:
Threshold -40.3
Ratio 1.82
Attack 8.46
release 6.85
Filter 98
Knee hard
Detect RMS
No Makeup ( :lol: )
Level 4.3

Comp2:
Thresh -40
Ratio 2.31
Attack 8.31
Release 5
Filter 98
Soft Knee
Detect RMS
SCSEL Input1 (BTW, the editor shows here Row4 - bug)
With Makeup
Adjust Level to taste.

Before both compressors I have a Lowcut 150 Hz to reduce pumping a bit.

Back
Top Bottom