Anyone have problems with Strat sound?

Yek- I also have a Suhr Classic. Soooo bright. I just lowered my pickups tonight to try and disable the magneto-pull buzzies. It worked pretty good. I was using the PEQ a lot but it seemed to be killing more shimmer than I wanted. Thats my advice to the original poster - try lower the pickups. Mine just happened to be way high/hot.

What are the body/neck/fingerboard woods in this problematic guitar? How does it play/feel? New pickups might help, but no Sweetwater setup is going to overcome a bad piece of wood.

MisterE, thanks for the tones! They're huge with my strat.

One thing that I did that I don't think is standard was to wire the bottom tone pot to the bridge pickup (learned that from Lincoln Brewster). I also messed around with tone cap values until I found something I liked. Also had the volume pot mod on when I was using the X3Live, but took it off since buying the Axe. I too used to be a HB man through and through. But a strat is just too dang versatile. I've got a great sounding LP also, but it sits in its case, or gets used as a backup in case a string breaks.

I built a Warmoth strat and the first set of pickups I put in it where Texas Specials................horrible!

The worst case of strat-itis I ever heard.

Put in a set of Kinman Blues and it sounds beautiful. Sweet and chimey. Quiet too!

I couldn't get the TS set far enough away from the strings to kill all the off-notes and warbleing that was going on.

Back
Top Bottom