Anyone fly Rc airplanes?

What a combo… Guitar playing and gas powered planes… clear prop!!

I started the rc thing back in 2014 and still at it but not as much. It’s a great hobby!

Maintenance flight crew pics included haha

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5727.jpeg
    IMG_5727.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3973.jpeg
    IMG_3973.jpeg
    868.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4460.jpeg
    IMG_4460.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4508.jpeg
    IMG_4508.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Those are some nice planes! I started way back in the 80's with RC and have been bumping along through the years. It's interesting how it has changed. Everything is electric and foam. Nobody wants to put the time in to building anymore. Glow engines are dying a slow death in favor of gas or Electric.

I need to dust off the planes and break out the radio and clear the cobwebs!

Just curious if anyone flys Rc aircraft?

I’ve been fly and building planes for a long time still have some nitro planes. I have been into the electric planes a lot less messy no clean up from fuel slobbering out the exhaust. And there really fast about 30 minutes flight time but I never push them that far.

My orange and white plane (Clown Fish) is a home made design made with green foam they use under vinyl siding the body of the plane is reinforced with a carbon fiber rod taped on the bottom of the plane and reinforced the wing with a carbon fiber rod taped across with packing tape, the ailerons on the wing are taped on along with the Rudder, an elevator, with packing tap and the battery is secured with Velcro and rubber bands.
Lots of fun!

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3322.jpeg
    IMG_3322.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
What a combo… Guitar playing and gas powered planes… clear prop!!

I started the rc thing back in 2014 and still at it but not as much. It’s a great hobby!

Maintenance flight crew pics included haha

Hi Paul nice looking planes so much fun to fly the bigger planes. Looks like a great spot to fly them also. We used to have races with the bigger string planes we would fly standing next to each other and race fly figure eights and loops. With a few really funny crashes break out the Zap and some zip kicker and right back at it. We use 25% nitro on the string planes always keep a couple of spare engines that 25% fuel would burn them engines up faster but what a gas they are and they would just scream with that hotter fuel.

All the best
Fred

I have flown RC airplanes off and on for most of my life. I took about 12 years off, a couple of times. Just got back into it in the past few months. Had to get a new 2.4 GHz transmitter, receivers, batteries, charger, etc., as technology has changed a bit.

I built a four motor, tilt wingtip, vertical take-off/landing (VTOL) foam profile thing back when I was just taking a break. But only flew it a couple of times. The tech at the time was not up to the tasks needed. Not the case any longer. It is fairly inexpensive and quite capable of doing what I need. It feels strange being a total noob at something. lol.. Several successful flights so far. Still dialing in the settings for the 'Quad' and 'Fixed Wing' modes, as well as the transition. Using it as a proof of concept test bed. I hope to build a better quality version with a fuselage, airfoil wings, retracts, and maybe ducted fans instead of props?

I will try to get some better pics, and hopefully some video soon. I call it 'The Taint'. It taint a Quad Copter, and it taint an Airplane. :D

Attachments

• Taint 1.jpg
    Taint 1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Taint 3.jpg
    Taint 3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have flown RC airplanes off and on for most of my life. I took about 12 years off, a couple of times. Just got back into it in the past few months. Had to get a new 2.4 GHz transmitter, receivers, batteries, charger, etc., as technology has changed a bit.

I built a four motor, tilt wingtip, vertical take-off/landing (VTOL) foam profile thing back when I was just taking a break. But only flew it a couple of times. The tech at the time was not up to the tasks needed. Not the case any longer. It is fairly inexpensive and quite capable of doing what I need. It feels strange being a total noob at something. lol.. Several successful flights so far. Still dialing in the settings for the 'Quad' and 'Fixed Wing' modes, as well as the transition. Using it as a proof of concept test bed. I hope to build a better quality version with a fuselage, airfoil wings, retracts, and maybe ducted fans instead of props?

I will try to get some better pics, and hopefully some video soon. I call it 'The Taint'. It taint a Quad Copter, and it taint an Airplane. :D

Hi Moke I have never tried one like you have looks pretty cool. I have had a few biplanes that were really light foam and they didn’t hold up to good for me. I would try the Harrier maneuver and ultimately crash. Altitude is your friend.😉
That’s one reason I started building my own mine hold up a little better and it doesn’t cost maybe 3 dollars so when I crash them I pick up the motor and the electronics and battery & build another one. And I use thin Hobbie plywood and 5 min expoy to strengthen the firewall. And reuse the carbon fiber rods.
Just make sure to try to balance the center of gravity in the middle of the wing with the motor and battery

Those are some nice planes! I started way back in the 80's with RC and have been bumping along through the years. It's interesting how it has changed. Everything is electric and foam. Nobody wants to put the time in to building anymore. Glow engines are dying a slow death in favor of gas or Electric.

I need to dust off the planes and break out the radio and clear the cobwebs!
Yeah I had a few foamies over time. I eventually repainted a few. It’s a shame that people don’t build as much ☹️ Glow fuel is way $$$ but it smells great lol

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 7
Now those are some very nice planes love the jets. Did you build all of those because they are beautiful. I just had my nitro planes down and run them. Your right we still have a lot of guys up on the flight line that are building gas engines in some pretty good sized planes very cool stuff. There’s a fella that flies nitro helicopters and he is really good he can fly them inverted and does barrel rolls man I love to watch him fly.

They have a RC club here and usually there are fly in’s and people come from all over with some pretty awesome planes. Love your photos.

Fred

Now those are some very nice planes love the jets. Did you build all of those because they are beautiful. I just had my nitro planes down and run them.
Thanks! These are foam planes and edf jets that come pretty much ready to fly. I just repaint them to my liking 😊

Oh that’s cool still some great looking planes. My Great Planes biplane was a kit kinda nice having the monokote already done and so much fun to fly.
We had a group of guys that came to one of the fly in’s and had planes like the blue angels they put on there own show those cats where really good love the sounds and smell of those jets.

I have a flight simulator on my computer it comes with a remote control but also has a feature that you can plug your transmitter in so you can dial your plane in pretty close and fly on the computer with your
Transmitter, great to just practice you get a little more daring so if you crash you haven’t destroyed your plane. Lots of fun practicing maneuvers, so if you crash you ain’t lost anything. :)

Back
Top Bottom