Anyone else think this is really ugly?

If there is such a thing as “a painting saved by the canvas” this might be it. Definitely not a favored PRS finish for me, but dang it… that’s a beautiful guitar and top!

Last edited:
That looks like charcoal cherry burst, which is the same finish as the guitar in my avatar. Mine sure doesn’t look like that regardless of the lighting or angle, but mine isn’t a quilt top.

I like curly over quilted maple. That’s purty!

That one has a story, too. I special ordered it in summer of 2019 (Custom 24-08, Charcoal Cherry Burst, 10 Top, hybrid hardware, pattern thin neck), and at that point the delivery estimate was about eight months out. Just as it was hitting that time frame, Covid hit and the factory was forced to send everybody home to hide under their beds. It was finally delivered almost exactly a year after I placed the order. The picture above is from the day I brought it home.

The burst color does not match to my eye but ... subjective.

Even when the color match does suit my eye, I've come to realize I don't like bursts - I regret this one which I had custom ordered - wish I had not ticked to burst box - would have been much better without imo.

1700785259925.jpeg

Last edited:
Burst is good. What guitar is that? Strange pups.Had some Carvin pickups like that.
Carvin DC127 (2011). Its not a bad burst, but I quickly realised after I bought it that I would have preferred to see the full wood flame right to the edge.

Edit: The pickup design is kinda cool (or seems cool to me as a pickup hacker) - there are two pole pieces per string I guess (?) to keep a stronger field that stays on the string during a bend, and pickup rings with 2 adjustment screws on one side so that the pickups can be tilted up and down in addition to the usual side to side. I was not crazy about them at first but they have grown on me (luckily since they are a bit oddly sized so not so easy to swap + there is added electrics in this guitar (split switches one per pup and out of phase switch) that would make a swap harder for a shaky solderer such as myself).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom