Anyone else stalk the UPS driver??

Today, of all days, the UPS Live Map isn’t available for my deliveries. Warmoth Tele should be arriving! Now I need to resort to old fashioned methods, aka peering out the window with paranoia and pacing

Have got an enameled dutch oven on order from Home Depot. Arriving next week. Not exactly FAS or gear-related, but something to sit in front of the computer and wonder when.

Have got an enameled dutch oven on order from Home Depot. Arriving next week. Not exactly FAS or gear-related, but something to sit in front of the computer and wonder when.
I have a Harrops TVS900 supercharger upgrade kit sitting in a container on a ship somewhere west-ish of Los Angeles waiting to be unloaded someday. Kinda ticked off about that, as the (fairly well-known parts supplier) website I ordered it from said it was "in stock".... 🤨

I have a Harrops TVS900 supercharger upgrade kit sitting in a container on a ship somewhere west-ish of Los Angeles waiting to be unloaded someday. Kinda ticked off about that, as the (fairly well-known parts supplier) website I ordered it from said it was "in stock".... 🤨
Yah. Am wondering also about a new iMac scheduled to arrive first 2 weeks of December. My CC has been charged but is "pending." Apple Sales reassured me their delivery window was correct.

Yah. Am wondering also about a new iMac scheduled to arrive first 2 weeks of December. My CC has been charged but is "pending." Apple Sales reassured me their delivery window was correct.

LOL, if only that button was real and functional.

I was expecting it to get to 90%, then slide back to zero and throw an error message.

Like with your Apple purchase, they already have my $$$$. Ticks me off they listed it as "in stock" when, in point of fact, it was clearly NOT on a shelf in their warehouse. False advertisement used to be illegal, but nowadays, it's just good business....
48ryno.jpg

UPS has destroyed so much of my stuff over the last year, when my Fractal was shipped, I swore that if it came f**ked up I'd drag the driver out of the truck and beat the piss out of him. lol.. I feel your anxiety bro. They're morons. :)

I'd venture to say that almost 10/10 the responsible party for damage are the non-person conveyors.

The packages actually get very little handling from people. Maybe when it is dropped off/picked up
and when it is delivered to the door. Outside of that, that's it.

I'd venture to say that almost 10/10 the responsible party for damage are the non-person conveyors.

The packages actually get very little handling from people. Maybe when it is dropped off/picked up
and when it is delivered to the door. Outside of that, that's it.
Maybe so, but the drivers do their best to zip away before you can do even a cursory damage inspection on the box, and do their best to hide damage when they hand it to you. Case in point - the original MkII that arrived a while back with a hole in the side of the box and a dolly handle inside it. Driver dude carried the box with the hole on his side, so I wouldn't notice it. That spells complicity to me....

...Like with your Apple purchase, they already have my $$$$. Ticks me off they listed it as "in stock" when, in point of fact, it was clearly NOT on a shelf in their warehouse. False advertisement used to be illegal, but nowadays, it's just good business....
TBH, it's really no different than buying something via pre-order, and waiting until your name comes to the top of the list regards shipment. The thing with Mac is that there are specs that need to be met, so that your customized unit is designed and built for you.

Regards most standard production items that don't need customization, the waitlist, based on previous demand, can be comparatively short, or extraordinarily lengthy. Apple production is comparatively basic and often has units pre-built according to your specs. The wait time from end of October to 1st/2nd week of December is likely because of shipping concerns from the factory.

The illustration I might use is compared to ordering a fancy meal at a nice restaurant. When the server asks how you'd like your meal prepared, you launch into a descriptive list of exactly how you'd like the meal cooked, with appetizers, main course, sides, fixings, drinks and dessert. The server nods approvingly and says there might be a slight delay because your order needs to be specially prepared. No worries, you order a bottle of wine and tell the server your wife and you will make small talk until the meal arrives. 45 minutes later, the meal arrives, and are you starved! The complementary bread and oil was enough for the interim, but now you can dig in. You thank the server, and feast.

The point I'm trying to make is, when offered how you'd like your meal cooked, you provided the server with specific information of how the meal was to be prepared. The server told you there would be an added wait time, because of the special order.

In essence, when we build customized houses, or buy cars with certain options, or order customized musical instruments, or anything that requires special consideration, there is an added wait time, because of production timeframes.

When something is listed as "in stock" but is in reality "in production" or "on pre-order," that IS false advertising and you should expect special consideration regards your purchase if the expected delivery timeframe is not met. If the delivery timeframe has already been specified, but is sometime several weeks/months away, you knew that already.

My Mac computer I'm awaiting...am blissfully twiddling my thumbs and am not worrying about who's minding the store just now. If and when the delivery timeframe arrives and the Mac doesn't show up, then the Apple sales dudes and dudettes might hear from me. (I'd really just like to commend them for just keeping up with their workload, and not making a major case about how each of tries to do our jobs but sometimes needs help with the added burden...)

Last edited:
Be thankful that UPS exists. My FM9 had to go to Toronto to get a new scribble strip installed, and it had to go via Canada Post because of cost. They shipped it out to me last Monday via expresspost.. (supposed to be up to 3 days) and it's EOD and looks like I get to roll the dice again tomorrow. Had my FM9 direct from Fractal in two days which included customs. SMH.

Be thankful that UPS exists. My FM9 had to go to Toronto to get a new scribble strip installed, and it had to go via Canada Post because of cost. They shipped it out to me last Monday via expresspost.. (supposed to be up to 3 days) and it's EOD and looks like I get to roll the dice again tomorrow. Had my FM9 direct from Fractal in two days which included customs. SMH.
You're correct. Given the amount of negative press delivery carriers receive when shipping delays occur, orders are mishandled or delivered to the wrong address, what have you...

<Rant mode on, directed to the general public>

Instead, give delivery carriers the credit they deserve for putting up with customer complaints. Then, when your item arrives maybe a day late because of a truck backlog or maintenance issue, thank the carrier for doing his job the best he could...please?

You'll find that kindness goes a heck of a lot farther than criticism does, and you know why?

It's because the carrier will want to remember the way he made you feel when you received your prized purchase, AND, the carrier will remember how thankful you were for receiving your item. Pay it forward, folks. Don't be the unkind and thankless people this world is becoming, because of our own demand for goods and services we can't find locally.

The burden is being placed squarely on delivery services not only now, but in years to come as the world transitions from buying locally to buying globally.

Please forgive my rant, but I really can't stress being thankful for what we already have more than what we think we want. Two generations ago, the internet was unheard of. Our thanks need to be focused for being able to laugh and create music, and enjoying our time together. You'll forgive me if I sit this one out, I'm a bit too old to be shaking my booty on the dance floor...

Don't be so quick to judge others until you've heard their story in entirety. We all learn by asking questions and answering to the best of our ability. What I personally appreciate most about this forum is that it's a place where we can share our knowledge and teach others who ask questions, or teach others by asking questions ourselves, and answering after we've asked for viewpoints.

We all realize that there are bound to be times when shipping errors occur, and for those folks, life sucks for a while. Yeah, we've heard this all too often. Realize that your inconvenience is temporary, and will be forgotten once your delivery arrives.

You may feel that your issue caused you undue anxiety or unnecessary worry. Let it go. You're not married to the delivery driver, so unless you plan on entertaining the driver with a rousing chorus of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" step back and have a seat, and sip a cup of tea with your feet up. Life is not intended to be what you watch on TV or read in the papers.

UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL, and the rest are working hard 24/7 to make sure you receive your items as quickly as humanly possible. Regards non-humans, I don't think delivery services employs any of these, except perhaps to sniff out contraband, which, I thank you, I don't bother with.

<Rant mode off, stepping down and letting others speak their minds...>

You're correct. Given the amount of negative press delivery carriers receive when shipping delays occur, orders are mishandled or delivered to the wrong address, what have you...

<Rant mode on, directed to the general public>

Instead, give delivery carriers the credit they deserve for putting up with customer complaints. Then, when your item arrives maybe a day late because of a truck backlog or maintenance issue, thank the carrier for doing his job the best he could...please?

You'll find that kindness goes a heck of a lot farther than criticism does, and you know why?

It's because the carrier will want to remember the way he made you feel when you received your prized purchase, AND, the carrier will remember how thankful you were for receiving your item. Pay it forward, folks. Don't be the unkind and thankless people this world is becoming, because of our own demand for goods and services we can't find locally.

The burden is being placed squarely on delivery services not only now, but in years to come as the world transitions from buying locally to buying globally.

Please forgive my rant, but I really can't stress being thankful for what we already have more than what we think we want. Two generations ago, the internet was unheard of. Our thanks need to be focused for being able to laugh and create music, and enjoying our time together. You'll forgive me if I sit this one out, I'm a bit too old to be shaking my booty on the dance floor...

Don't be so quick to judge others until you've heard their story in entirety. We all learn by asking questions and answering to the best of our ability. What I personally appreciate most about this forum is that it's a place where we can share our knowledge and teach others who ask questions, or teach others by asking questions ourselves, and answering after we've asked for viewpoints.

We all realize that there are bound to be times when shipping errors occur, and for those folks, life sucks for a while. Yeah, we've heard this all too often. Realize that your inconvenience is temporary, and will be forgotten once your delivery arrives.

You may feel that your issue caused you undue anxiety or unnecessary worry. Let it go. You're not married to the delivery driver, so unless you plan on entertaining the driver with a rousing chorus of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" step back and have a seat, and sip a cup of tea with your feet up. Life is not intended to be what you watch on TV or read in the papers.

UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL, and the rest are working hard 24/7 to make sure you receive your items as quickly as humanly possible. Regards non-humans, I don't think delivery services employs any of these, except perhaps to sniff out contraband, which, I thank you, I don't bother with.

<Rant mode off, stepping down and letting others speak their minds...>

Well put. It's the definition of a first world problem. It's not typically the fault of the face that hands you the package. They're stressed and accommodating enough on delivery day. Most companies wait til dinner time to deliver their stuff while people are home. Those people get home late every night, and don't get enough thanks. It's higher up in the foodchain that my beef is with. In my particular part of the country there is a notorious choke point in the maritimes that always causes delays - Dieppe. I've been shopping online since the early 2000's like many people and it's always been a problem - for 20 years. Online shopping has been steadily growing as quick as inflation has, and CP refuses to upgrade the facilities there, yet somehow UPS and Fedex, etc have seemed to figure that choke point out. My point was one company can deliver express in two days from another country yet, Canada Post can't handle domestic volume in reasonable time frames. They continue to take your money for upgraded services that basically get the same attention as snail mail. It's by and large a first world problem. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

It's not typically the fault of the face that hands you the package. They're stressed and accommodating enough on delivery day. Most companies wait til dinner time to deliver their stuff while people are home. Those people get home late every night, and don't get enough thanks.

Truth!

Well put. It's the definition of a first world problem. It's not typically the fault of the face that hands you the package. They're stressed and accommodating enough on delivery day. Most companies wait til dinner time to deliver their stuff while people are home. Those people get home late every night, and don't get enough thanks. It's higher up in the foodchain that my beef is with. In my particular part of the country there is a notorious choke point in the maritimes that always causes delays - Dieppe. I've been shopping online since the early 2000's like many people and it's always been a problem - for 20 years. Online shopping has been steadily growing as quick as inflation has, and CP refuses to upgrade the facilities there, yet somehow UPS and Fedex, etc have seemed to figure that choke point out. My point was one company can deliver express in two days from another country yet, Canada Post can't handle domestic volume in reasonable time frames. They continue to take your money for upgraded services that basically get the same attention as snail mail. It's by and large a first world problem. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Canada Post; I've purchased a handful of items from Canada some years ago but had never experienced issues with shipping myself. The store I purchased from (an amp parts store) stated relatively clearly on the website their delivery timeframes, based on your location, when they'd ship, and what to expect during transit.

Only thing working in my favor was that the Canadian store was located in eastern Canada (either Quebec or Ottawa) and the shipping route was somewhat direct into New England. I think I mostly chose standard shipping, though, never expedited, which may account for my situation.

I'd guess and say that many delivery companies these days are stating disclaimers when you order that the service is exempt from litigation because of shipping delays for expedited service. Some years ago, it used to be that 2-day shipping meant what it said. Nowadays, there are only several businesses (that will go nameless because they've dominated the goods market) that offer their own delivery system instead of utilizing the major delivery carriers.

USPS has been struggling to maintain its share in the delivery carrier business. In recent years, Americans have seen USPS undergo several drastic changes that didn't turn out well for USPS. As the push to meet yearly target sales figures increases, Americans are getting used to paying more for goods in demand, longer delivery times, and a smaller workforce to handle consumer-related issues.

Well, that's just ducky. My personal feeling is that we'd all like to enjoy the laughter, music, dancing, food, games, and fun, but somewhere, the average joe is sitting at home unhappy that he has to wait for what he ordered, instead of enjoying his new whateveritwas. It's not wrong, but it doesn't make for feeling good about things.

In a perfect world, we might only need ask for what we need, and it would be there, without much wait time. In an imperfect world, there's so much that can go bloody wrong that we've come to expect to take the good with the bad, and suffer in silence or raise our voices. I only hope one day the imperfect world gets its act together and wises up.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Canada Post; I've purchased a handful of items from Canada some years ago but had never experienced issues with shipping myself. The store I purchased from (an amp parts store) stated relatively clearly on the website their delivery timeframes, based on your location, when they'd ship, and what to expect during transit.

Only thing working in my favor was that the Canadian store was located in eastern Canada (either Quebec or Ottawa) and the shipping route was somewhat direct into New England. I think I mostly chose standard shipping, though, never expedited, which may account for my situation.

I'd guess and say that many delivery companies these days are stating disclaimers when you order that the service is exempt from litigation because of shipping delays for expedited service. Some years ago, it used to be that 2-day shipping meant what it said. Nowadays, there are only several businesses (that will go nameless because they've dominated the goods market) that offer their own delivery system instead of utilizing the major delivery carriers.

USPS has been struggling to maintain its share in the delivery carrier business. In recent years, Americans have seen USPS undergo several drastic changes that didn't turn out well for USPS. As the push to meet yearly target sales figures increases, Americans are getting used to paying more for goods in demand, longer delivery times, and a smaller workforce to handle consumer-related issues.

Well, that's just ducky. My personal feeling is that we'd all like to enjoy the laughter, music, dancing, food, games, and fun, but somewhere, the average joe is sitting at home unhappy that he has to wait for what he ordered, instead of enjoying his new whateveritwas. It's not wrong, but it doesn't make for feeling good about things.

In a perfect world, we might only need ask for what we need, and it would be there, without much wait time. In an imperfect world, there's so much that can go bloody wrong that we've come to expect to take the good with the bad, and suffer in silence or raise our voices. I only hope one day the imperfect world gets its act together and wises up.

Cool post. :)

I aspire to be a better human, and a lot of times that means learning to tolerate,
and even expecting, that shit will go wrong. Entropy is real, and the Buddha suggested
over 2500 years ago that brokenness, failure, and insufficiency was inherent in the
make up of not just this world, but of our species. The anomaly is when things go
absolutely perfect and flawless, not the other way around.

Oh, and isn't it far better off for something to get broken or lost than for someone to
kill themselves (metaphorically or literally) trying to get it to me in "perfect" condition
the very next day.

We just can't expect flawed and sometimes fragile humans to operate and function in
any kind of health if we demand we all move at the same pace as our technology. That's
the kind of path we are on, though---starting with the innocuous little overnight delivery
to one person's home.

Thought I'd check and see if your supercharger is anywhere closer to delivery than previously. My new iMac arrived (Pffft. Had to be picked up because of a delivery error) Friday evening and took the better part of 26 hours data migration/old iMac OS reinstall. THEN, today (Monday) was spent with data migration from my elderly Mom's old 2014 iMac onto my old 2019 iMac (we purchased a new one so Mom could benefit from a recent model iMac still with AppleCare).

As much as I love my Mom, there were some pretty tense moments where Mom was freaking out on things. (Not always easy to keep a cool head when you've got folks barking at you.) Anyway, after several calls to senior advisors on how to straighten things out, the 2019 iMac is safely connected and installed. The old 2014 iMac wiped clean and Big Sur reinstalled.

We're currently trying to schedule a time when we can visit the UPS Store and drop ship the 2014 for rebate credit/recycling, but we'll likely try to do several things that day to consolidate driving trips.

We're also looking at a stationary 4-legged office chair with arms for Mom's workspace that's reclaimed from offices or meeting rooms. We've got a lead on a used office furniture warehouse that stocks all kinds of office furniture. Looking for something sturdy, in good mechanical shape, and clean. Hopefully something wide enough to accommodate Mom's saddle-girth...and that's a fact, Jack. ;)

Thought I'd check and see if your supercharger is anywhere closer to delivery than previously. My new iMac arrived (Pffft. Had to be picked up because of a delivery error) Friday evening and took the better part of 26 hours data migration/old iMac OS reinstall. THEN, today (Monday) was spent with data migration from my elderly Mom's old 2014 iMac onto my old 2019 iMac (we purchased a new one so Mom could benefit from a recent model iMac still with AppleCare).

As much as I love my Mom, there were some pretty tense moments where Mom was freaking out on things. (Not always easy to keep a cool head when you've got folks barking at you.) Anyway, after several calls to senior advisors on how to straighten things out, the 2019 iMac is safely connected and installed. The old 2014 iMac wiped clean and Big Sur reinstalled.

We're currently trying to schedule a time when we can visit the UPS Store and drop ship the 2014 for rebate credit/recycling, but we'll likely try to do several things that day to consolidate driving trips.

We're also looking at a stationary 4-legged office chair with arms for Mom's workspace that's reclaimed from offices or meeting rooms. We've got a lead on a used office furniture warehouse that stocks all kinds of office furniture. Looking for something sturdy, in good mechanical shape, and clean. Hopefully something wide enough to accommodate Mom's saddle-girth...and that's a fact, Jack. ;)
Arrived this morning.
Point%20Blur_Nov222021_214013.jpg

Not sure if the other parts are inside this box or in a separate box that has not yet arrived. Been too busy getting the OL ready to fly to Florida to visit her sister in the ICU to check yet....

Arrived this morning.
Point%20Blur_Nov222021_214013.jpg

Not sure if the other parts are inside this box or in a separate box that has not yet arrived. Been too busy getting the OL ready to fly to Florida to visit her sister in the ICU to check yet....

Purty....

1122212206a.jpg

Parts is parts....

1122212206b.jpg

The inside of the manifold casting is pretty clean, too - way cleaner than the factory manifold pieces. I spent hours and hours 6 years ago pushing a 150 grit sanding sponge through the curve in the intercooler "horns" and every tight spot in the intake manifold's air path to smooth out the rough bits the Dremel wouldn't reach. Smooth walls vs. bumpy makes a noticeable difference in airflow....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom