Anyone else pre-order the new SPARK CAB powered FRFR ?

Dang, not one but TWO tweeters. Not sure that’s good thing lol.
Rock'n Robin tweet tweet... right lol. Had to joke. So far I am enjoying my cab, but I just received mine two days ago and it has about an hour of playing around on it. Really need more time with it for an honest opinion of those two tweeters.

Bit of an update : Took my Spark Cab to band practice and it sounded great with my AxeFX III . I had tweek the global EQ on the output of the AxeFX to tame down some of the bass. To my ears it sound more like a guitar cabinet then the Yamaha FRFR speaker I usually use. It think it is the difference between a plastic/metal cabinet of the Yamaha and the Wood from the Spark Cab. --- yeah thats it FRFR TONE WOOD !!!!! - Next Level Tone wood debate to follow :)

For what its worth when you turn up the cab - the white/brown noise gets drowned out .

also I am on a few Spark Facebook groups and about 98% say they hear the white/brown noise and about 20% have other issues with the cab.
There was one or two guys that INSIST that there cab is dead quite - no hiss ... Kinda full to see the others in the group question his hearing and saying he has the "Unicorn" Spark Cab.
I received my cab on 1/4/23 and as I stated in another post I only have about an hour of fooling around with it. With my 40 connected and at maybe 1/4 volume I do not hear any hissing at all, I haven't had the opportunity to turn it up due to the time I was playing. I do live in a home that was built only two years ago and I feel like the electrical system is very clean. I don't get humming from any of my fixtures, TV's, stereos, my other amps, or other speakers in the home. That may be something to consider concerning the hissing people are hearing or maybe I got lucky getting a cab that was built after the initial release.

That may be something to consider concerning the hissing people are hearing or maybe I got lucky getting a cab that was built after the initial release.
The Plot Thickens ........
My power switch on the back was starting to be flakey - some times would not turn it on the first time.. So I contacted Positive Grid and Reqested and RMA to return the Spark Cab on their dime due to power switch and hiss from day one. They got back to me in less than 24 hrs with the RMA, pre-paid shipping label and a promise to send me a replacement unit.

I am awaiting the replacement unit - I hope it is one with no hiss. I have been active on some of the positive Grid facebook groups and have noticed the following trends
- When it was first shipped - everyone had the hiss issue - lots of complaints - Positive grid was saing its "normal" - people (including myself were calling BS

After a month or so a few people said the got one with NO HISS - at first no one believed them
recently a few more new ones have no hiss

-- I was able to return it via RMA and on the RMA it said the cause was hiss ( note: I was leading with the power switch issue)

SO we shall see --- When I get the replacement unit in a couple of week I will update

Yes the replacement arrived on time. My new spark cab still has a very low amount of Hiss - almost non existent- You have to put your ear in front of the speaker to hear it. Standing up in front of the cab, You can't hear it

I measured (with a db meter app on my phone) about 3-4 db of noise with my phone's mic on the grill cloth
The Previous one measured 20dB at 12"inches from the grill cloth

In my mind this is a marked improvement and I am happy with it, for what I am getting for $290 out the door.

I have used the CAB as my backline with my AxeFX III at a few band practices ( Replacing my Yamaha DXR10 FRFR speaker)
and I like it Better - to me is sounds more like a guitar cab . My guess is that its a wooden cabinet and the Yamaha is a metal/plastic cabinet.

I and still trying different things to tame the Bass emphasis - Putting it on an Auralex isolation board/pad , Tilting the cab etc. A few folks on the PG Facebook group put it on a dolly with wheels and some installed wheels on it

I will use it at a couple of outdoor gigs in the next 6 weeks - that will be the real test

Any updates on this thing? A friend is looking into FRFRs. I told him to just get the FR-12 but he's (understandably) also researching alternatives and mentioned the Spark Cab.

Back
Top Bottom