Anyone else having this problem?

derker

I'm looking for the perfect poweramp solution for the Axe FX, as we all are, but I'm having a really hard time accepting that a solid state poweramp really fits the bill. Funny thing is I got to try it with a Crown 402(something or other) into stereo 4x12s and it sounded great, but I'm having a really hard time letting go of the tube mentality.

I'm really interested in the Carvin TS-100, because its supposed to be a pretty clean sounding tube poweramp. I guess it was also designed to be used with audiophile stereos or home theaters, I'm assuming there's little filtering going on within the poweramp to interfere with the full range of an audiophile setup, but I have zero experience with it so my only way to try it is to buy it first.

I guess what I would want ideally is a tube poweramp, that acts as a tube poweramp, but doesnt sound like one. I want to use the poweramp sims on the AxeFX, but I don't wanna let go of my tubes. Ideas?

One possibility is you could wait for the release of the Fractal/Atomic combo amp, which is a Tube power amp combined with a 12" speaker. It is designed to function as a clean FRFR solution for reproducing the Axe-Fx in all its glory. Similar to the high end audiophile tube power amps. If you do a search you should find lots of info here on the forum...I think they said approximately a July release date...

Yeah I've been following it. I've been reading this forum pretty heavily (anybody else refresh every five minutes? :mrgreen: ) Still, I would prefer to have a poweramp in the rack with the AxeFX as I already have cabinets. I'll be following the Fractal piece though, when they give us updates. Thanks for the reply.

derker said:
I guess what I would want ideally is a tube poweramp, that acts as a tube poweramp, but doesnt sound like one. I want to use the poweramp sims on the AxeFX, but I don't wanna let go of my tubes. Ideas?
Seek professional help. It's obviously all in your head ;-)

Seriously, though, what do you want the tubes for then, if you don't want it to sound like a tube amp? Just so you can spend tons of money retubing every once in a while? I'm not teasing or attacking you, just ask yourself why? For me, getting rid of tubes and how finnicky they are was worth the price of admission. And I won't consider the Fratomic cab *because* it has tubes.

derker said:
I'm looking for the perfect poweramp solution for the Axe FX, as we all are, but I'm having a really hard time accepting that a solid state poweramp really fits the bill. Funny thing is I got to try it with a Crown 402(something or other) into stereo 4x12s and it sounded great, but I'm having a really hard time letting go of the tube mentality.

No offense, but why would you need a tube power amp that acts like one but doesn't sound like one?

The amp sims in the Axe FX are more than capable of sounding and playing like real tube amps............................the Axe FX does all of the work. All you need is clean amplification to get the sound out, and a SS power amp can do that with aplomb.

Just my take, but you need to get your head out of traditional "tube amp thinking". You don't need outboard tube response with the Axe FX. It does it all for you.

Axe FX (finely tweaked) + Clean power amp + Good speakers = the sound of gods. :D

Okay, when I said I want a tube poweramp that doesnt sound like one, I meant a clean, more neutral tube poweramp, with less guitar oriented filtering. I've tried the AxeFX into the FX returns of a few different tube heads and some of them (obviously) lend themselves better to the poweramp sims than others. The Crown poweramp sounded good but it still had a certain solidstate razor-sharpness. Granted I was borrowing it so I couldnt mess with the poweramp sim parameters as much as I wanted to, but still I feel like it could be better.

I do understand that its all in my head but I just spent all my money on an AxeFX so a shrink is out of the question :mrgreen:

derker said:
Okay, when I said I want a tube poweramp that doesnt sound like one, I meant a clean, more neutral tube poweramp, with less guitar oriented filtering. I've tried the AxeFX into the FX returns of a few different tube heads and some of them (obviously) lend themselves better to the poweramp sims than others. The Crown poweramp sounded good but it still had a certain solidstate razor-sharpness. Granted I was borrowing it so I couldnt mess with the poweramp sim parameters as much as I wanted to, but still I feel like it could be better.

I do understand that its all in my head but I just spent all my money on an AxeFX so a shrink is out of the question :mrgreen:

VHT(Fryette) 2/90/2...I was/am in the same situation. I just love teh toobz :lol: Plus I run an ADA MP-1 through it sometimes, and the SS amps I have don't work well for that IMO. The SS amps did do the job perfectly with the AxeFx...but the 2/90/2 just did it for me.

Yeah I know its heavy...VERY loud...costs of tube maintenance...yak yak yak and so forth...

I believe this unit will do what you are needing as long as the "drawbacks" aren't too much. It's very clean yet it's lively as hell. It seems to have a very musical nature about it. Getting great tone that I like is very easy.

Thanks for the reply Machine. Do you use the poweramp sim on the AxeFX with the VHT 2/90/2, or do you disable it?

derker said:
Thanks for the reply Machine. Do you use the poweramp sim on the AxeFX with the VHT 2/90/2, or do you disable it?
No problem...happy to help if possible :)

I use the poweramp sims for some things...late night time playing, chewy blues stuff, etc... basically whenever I want/need more poweramp involvement.

For heavy rhythm during the day when I can turn it up pretty good, I wouldn't use them.

So it varies, and I would say I use them less overall, but I gotta say, the 2/90/2 in my rig is the best of both worlds. In low power mode with just a preamp sim, or the ADA MP-1, cranked up a bit, it sounds to me like a very expensive amp head...yet...with it quiet, and the poweramp sims on...it sounds like a very expensive amp head...quiet :lol:

My main thing...besides loving the tubes just because...is that I like the response of the 2/90/2...and that allows me to mostly use just the preamp sims. I need this because I am a disturbed tweaker. By turning off the poweramp sims most off the time...I remove most off the tweaking...you see how well that works :D

I will say though...for the tube haters (joke)...you're all correct...NO, the AxeFx doesn't need the tube poweramp. I CAN get the response needed with either of my SS amps...but at the expense of my sanity. I will get what I think is a good tone...but wait there is something...turns to advanced parameters for the next six hours...uh oh its 4am and I gotta go to work in 3 hours :shock:

It doesn't bother me at all that it's entirely in my head...I just make a causative decision to make it as simple as possible and play my damn guitar! :cool:

The 2/90/2 is great stuff IMO

Thanks for the feedback man. I dont think a 2-90-2 is in my near future, I'm probably gonna try out the Carvin TS-100, and if I dont like it I'll go with one of their DCM's.

derker said:

OK............now I understand what you're seeking - a nicely neutral warm tube sound, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom