Anyone doing this? (low cut HBs?)

tolchocks

Hey there... I was just wondering if anyone is doing a low cut before the amp block when using humbuckers... Ive been doing this since I got the axe, otherwise it wont sound good. It has nothing to do with the final bass frec response, but the distortion character. If I dont do this, things get a litle muddy and fuzzy.... Strange since the actual amps dont need this stuff (I own a dual recto and although it is hard to get it sound tight, it doesnt fuzz if I dont hipass it...). I was thinking the problem could be that my guitars (all use the same HBs) are just too bassy and the axe fx doesnt "feel" it since its not a real input, but a modeled one... Perhaps some impedance shit, I dunno...

I totally do the same thing. I don't like how putting a Tube Screamer in front makes it sound, so the only other way to get a good, tight metal tone (for me) is to a PEQ before the amp and cut out a bunch of low stuff.

Also, Scott Peterson discussed this in a thread a while back: He found he was getting overdrive out of amps at levels they should be clean, so he reduced the Input Level parameter in the Input section at the beginning of the layout grid and got a cleaner sound. I followed this logic as I found the same problem and it REALLY helped tighten up high gain amps and just overall improved how everything sounded. He used about 8dB of reduction, I only use 6dB. So that would be something to consider.

Hey there... I was just wondering if anyone is doing a low cut before the amp block when using humbuckers... Ive been doing this since I got the axe, otherwise it wont sound good. It has nothing to do with the final bass frec response, but the distortion character. If I dont do this, things get a litle muddy and fuzzy.... Strange since the actual amps dont need this stuff (I own a dual recto and although it is hard to get it sound tight, it doesnt fuzz if I dont hipass it...). I was thinking the problem could be that my guitars (all use the same HBs) are just too bassy and the axe fx doesnt "feel" it since its not a real input, but a modeled one... Perhaps some impedance shit, I dunno...

have you tried the "cut" control on the amp-block? that works really well. how close are your pups to your strings?

I use the low cut freq parameter on the amp block when needed. It is applied before the amp modeling so it does the same thing. I do not need modify for humbuckers on all models though, just tweak it a bit on few.

Back
Top Bottom