Anyone catching the Swift game today?

I know I am the bad guy. Please do not try and tell me that you and the rest here do not know this is a political conspiracy all over the USA. Created by the, well you all know who.
So yes it is offensive to me.
And you folks join in the BS.
I'll leave now so you can play your games.
Might I suggest logging off the internet for a while? Maybe even turn off the news?

No one had anything but some fun here in this thread.

Well, except for you…

Yea. It seems like it. What a way to go down.
OT rule change, cost them the game too. Same thing happened with the Jays in 85, in the ALCS against KC (must be a KC thing). Jays won the first 3 and lost the next 4, to Brett and the Royals. Had it been the year before, the ALCS was best 3 of 5. Oh well, it's all relative and there are endless what-if scenarios.

Certainly an exciting game to watch for a neutral football fan. Now I have to search YouTube and catch-up on all the commercials I missed! :)

OT rule change, cost them the game too. Same thing happened with the Jays in 85, in the ALCS against KC (must be a KC thing). Jays won the first 3 and lost the next 4, to Brett and the Royals. Had it been the year before, the ALCS was best 3 of 5. Oh well, it's all relative and there are endless what-if scenarios.

Certainly an exciting game to watch for a neutral football fan. Now I have to search YouTube and catch-up on all the commercials I missed! :)
I’m not much into football. In previous years, first to score in OT would have won?

I’m not much into football. In previous years, first to score in OT would have won?
I don't follow the NFL either, I'll watch some or in the case, all of the Super Bowl. I used to be more of an all round sports fan, back in high-school and followed the Steelers, during the Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swan, Franco Harris dynasty.

I only learned this last night too. OT used to be win the toss, get possession, score, you win. The rule now, gives each team possession of the ball, at least once.

They changed the rule, mainly because of these events in the 2021 game, noted here.

'The final quarter of the 2021 AFC divisional round playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs could not have been more exciting. Three lead changes. Five scoring drives. A 36-36 tie at the end of regulation. The overtime period, however, could not have been more disappointing. One coin toss. One touchdown drive. Game over.'

With the new rules, I believe that if the score is still tied after both teams have had the ball, it then goes to sudden death, and the next team to score wins.....I think that entered into the 49ers decision to take the ball.

With the new rules, I believe that if the score is still tied after both teams have had the ball, it then goes to sudden death, and the next team to score wins.....I think that entered into the 49ers decision to take the ball.
These are the new OT playoff rules;

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
  • There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
  • The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
  • Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
  • Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
  • The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
  • If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.

These are the new OT playoff rules;

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
  • There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
  • The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
  • Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
  • Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
  • The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
  • If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.
Oh, I guess I was wrong. Apparently, the hosts of Good Morning NFL didn’t know this either, as that’s where I heard that!laugh.gif

Good to know….Thanks biggrin.gif

You gotta give Purdy props too though. Look what he did against the Lions, to get them into the Super Bowl. Even yesterday's game, nothing he did, cost them the Super Bowl. Not bad for a 262nd draft pick...the last pick of the 2022 draft.
Absolutely!

You gotta give Purdy props too though. Even yesterday's game, nothing he did, cost them the Super Bowl.
He certainly didn't lose them the game, but I can't overlook a couple of damning overthrows. I can also point to the fact that 49er's offense completely disappeared in the 3rd Qtr, as for some reason they stopped giving McCaffrey the ball and for some reason they could only get 2 pass completions to Kittle for a total of 4 yards through the entire game.

Last edited:
I think 3 things cost them
That missed convert was 1

The second was when the failed to capitalize on mahones big mistakes starting the 3rd where he got picked off they were basically in field goal range but penalties got them pushed back

Third the punt return that hit the returners leg and turned into a fumble deep in their own end

Mahones wasn’t great but if you give him enough chances he is going to find a way to beat you

thought it was an excellent game but I was also confused by the OT rules. The play right before the chiefs scored the TD in OT, I was yelling to the San Fran defense to take a timeout, catch breath and regroup. But right as I was thinking that, the commentators said something along the lines of how they can't take a timeout because they have to treat OT as another full half. But then the chiefs scored and it was over. I would've taken a timeout to regroup my defense

I think 3 things cost them
That missed convert was 1

The second was when the failed to capitalize on mahones big mistakes starting the 3rd where he got picked off they were basically in field goal range but penalties got them pushed back

Third the punt return that hit the returners leg and turned into a fumble deep in their own end

Mahones wasn’t great but if you give him enough chances he is going to find a way to beat you
For sure.
That missed extra point attempt allowed KC to capitalize on a FG on their drive to tie instead of forcing them to attempt a TD.
And the botched punt return and subsequent KC TD just fueled the comeback.

You must have watched a different second half than I did.......I mean, they don't give you the MVP award for nothing.
He was not the MVP as far as I am concerned it’s like the Oscar’s

Chris Jones and they way they stopped the SF offence in the 2nd half was much more valuable

The guy who blocked the convert was huge

Except for H.E.R.’s guitar solo bit wasn’t live.
Yeah, it would have been cool if she played live but I suppose it's a trade-off to feature her in the middle of the stadium. Was cool that they even had a guitar solo featured - we'll have to take that as a win! That guitar looked great - I thought it was the Suhr Pete Thorn for a second - same-ish colors.

He was not the MVP as far as I am concerned it’s like the Oscar’s

Chris Jones and they way they stopped the SF offence in the 2nd half was much more valuable

The guy who blocked the convert was huge
Interesting fact I heard today.....the guy who blocked the extra point's last name is Chenal, and he is the same guy who fell off the top
of one of the buses and then climbed back up during last year's Super Bowl Parade......laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom