Anyone Build an AxeFx III Combo Amp?

Hi,

So far I've built clones of JMP100, Soldano Slo, and a Slo 40watt combo which I really like.

But for the past few months every time time I use my Axe lll I've been thinking about building a cabinet with 2 10's and making a combo amp.

I have Carvin TS100 that pairs great with the Axe, but since it's heavy, I'd prefer to have something solid state to keep the weight down.

Anyone here done this?

Thought it would be a great idea.

dinky,

At some point my rig consisted in a kind of compact all in one system like this.
6B132532-71A0-40BB-9318-2573A00CEEF9.jpeg
I guess you could go further and rehouse everything into a plywood case made to mesure.
Record the impedance curve of it, ask Cliff to implement it and you’re good to go.

I honestly don’t see the benefit of housing the Fractal into a cabinet with speaker(s) and a power amp, or a powered monitor to gig with. If it were to stay in a home studio, that’s different.

I don't gig so I'm thinking about having an all in one combo.

Instead of switching to one of my other amps, I can just change presets.

As far as weight, I did have a Peavey 112 combo that I turned into a 2x12 combo...that was heavy. I got tired of lugging it up and down the stairs.

But I thought having an Axe III built combo would be a cool idea for what I use it for.

dinky

I’ve posted this before. This is a Celestion F12-X200 speaker and amp combo that I run my FM3 into. Something like this but more rack space so you can add an Axe. This has an angled baffle so probably use a straight baffle on a taller box. It came out pretty heavy so adding more to it and you wouldn’t want to move it. Unless…..wheels, like a dolly. Could have it rigged like a suitcase. Haha.

Attachments

• 53C88BF5-1941-4211-8AC1-D1ACB2F0C827.jpeg
    53C88BF5-1941-4211-8AC1-D1ACB2F0C827.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 86
I have been thinking of building one of these as well. Question, is there any risk to the Axe FX III by having it positioned at the back of a cabinet with all the energy and vibration from the speaker over time?
Thanks,
Derek

I have been thinking of building one of these as well. Question, is there any risk to the Axe FX III by having it positioned at the back of a cabinet with all the energy and vibration from the speaker over time?
Thanks,
Derek
the black box survives long flights, insane festival volume levels/subwoofers/that can feel like an earthquake if you are close enough…12 years in, and i did not have a single issue with axe fx or heard anyone mentioning parts coming loose, or malfunction cause the axe sits on a speaker or close to a speaker.

@Moke ....

Didn't you build a self-contained "combo" w/ a pair of Equator D5 monitors ?

If it wasn't him ..., I know someone did !

the black box survives long flights, insane festival volume levels/subwoofers/that can feel like an earthquake if you are close enough…12 years in, and i did not have a single issue with axe fx or heard anyone mentioning parts coming loose, or malfunction cause the axe sits on a speaker or close to a speaker.
Great points!!! Thanks very much for the reassurance :)

D

@Moke ....

Didn't you build a self-contained "combo" w/ a pair of Equator D5 monitors ?

If it wasn't him ..., I know someone did !
Yes I did. But don't use it anymore. Equators are back on my desk.

I needed more rack space to add our XR-18. So I went with a mixer style rack with front and top spaces. No room for any on-board speakers.

Here are a couple of pics of it though. Made of Baltic Birch plywood. 8-space with a pullout drawer. It was pretty cool, but heavy.
0526121334.jpgIMG_20141004_143935.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom