Anybody using a Mesa 2:90 with Quantum? Thoughts?

Hey guys. I'm putting together a live rig. I'm looking at an ASM-12 but it's on backorder for heaven-knows how long, and I would like to know if anybody here is using the mesa 2:90 with Quantum and how they feel about it? I could get an oversized Recto cab with Vintage 30s and grab up a Mesa 2:90 pretty darn quick. I've also got pretty fast access to a Fryette 50/2/50 (I've read enough about both to know there are detractors and fans). So let me know - how's it working out for you currently?

If I were choosing Id go with the Fryette myself. Think its a bit lighter than the mesa. Both are heavier options but if I recall correctly the mesa is like 44 pounds and Fryette about 34....ish.

I'm not horribly concerned about weight. I'm more concerned about a great power amp. I know there are people who like either one better (mesa has more sag and bottom end and some people say tubby and too saggy - Fryette is more flat but some people say harsh and brittle in the low end). I'm playing mostly hard rock stuff and I know there are a lot of guys in similar tastes who really loved the Mesa 2:90 option.

Sounds like you're ready for the 290 then. I've heard very similar things regarding both of them. You'll probably be happy either way.

I don't comment on here very much but for what it's worth I had a Mesa 2:90 and then a Fryette 2:50:2 and then I ended up demoing a Matrix power amp with the AXe FX 2 amp sims and never looked back. Not even once.

Yeah I've got a buddy with pretty similar tastes to me and he said that while the Matrix had a nice sound, he just couldn't gel with the way the thing "felt". He explained he felt it lacked "grip" the way he felt with a tube power amp. Different strokes, mind you.

It's of course worth noting that quantum made a huge difference for my carvin dcm setup. Any depth or more balls I wanted from the tube power amp changed. However, that being said, I still don't think a tube power amp will harm your tone. IMO even if its adding a little color its typically good color. What was your previous axe fx setup?

Yeah I've got a buddy with pretty similar tastes to me and he said that while the Matrix had a nice sound, he just couldn't gel with the way the thing "felt". He explained he felt it lacked "grip" the way he felt with a tube power amp. Different strokes, mind you.

I had a Mesa 2:90, a Matrix and a Mesa 2:50.
Well, the 2:90 is irreplaceable!!! For me, of course!

Axe Fx Rack.jpg

OK guys. Anybody have any experience with the Mesa 2:50? I have a potentially great deal on one so I'm just seeing if it even compares to the 2:90 (which I know has different voicing options and more headroom).

TBH, I'd avoid the 2:90 (or any other Mesa power amp) unless you are specifically looking for Mesa tones as your meat and potatoes (in which case the 2:90 may be optimal). If I had to go with a tube power amp the Fryette would, ironically, probably be first choice, IMHO.

TBH, I'd avoid the 2:90 (or any other Mesa power amp) unless you are specifically looking for Mesa tones as your meat and potatoes (in which case the 2:90 may be optimal). If I had to go with a tube power amp the Fryette would, ironically, probably be first choice, IMHO.

Well it's a good thing I like Mesa tones - haha. :D

Well it's a good thing I like Mesa tones - haha. :D

Honestly, I can any tone with Table 2:90. The secret is to use it with real cabs and Deep Mode on. The difference between him and the "Mesa 50:50" is immense.

The 50:50 mischaracterizes the tone, dramatically!

My favorite amps: Fenders, Vox and Marshalls and is very good!

I have seen cases of people using the Fryette and back to 2:90. But...it is like!

Of course, I use this setup for gigs with two Sennheiser e906 and is magic!

Again, sorry for my English! It is not my native language and must be boring for you to read my grammatical errors! :cry

Not at all man! Thanks for even paying attention to this thread.

Truth be told, I'm not in any way concerned about the variety of tones I well be able to get out of this setup. I've always run all my recording patches, regardless of amp, through vintage 30s, and I know enough about the axe to know how to get where I need to get. Super stoked about the end result!

Back
Top Bottom