Anybody use a real OD into front of FM3?

I am currently using the Karma MTN -10 and it has made a huge difference. Also my Wampler Tumnus sounds real good too, just less eq options

I've used combinations of TSMini, TS808, FD-1, Overrated Special (all tube screamers), a couple fuzz faces, BD-2, mxr whatever of tone, and probably some others.

The 808 probably lasted the longest, because it looked cool and freed up a switch. Now...not so much. The model sounds the same to me, I now have the DSP available since completely giving up on reverb (though I do like a good room mic IR)...I really like having 2 expression pedals and a tuner (still don't like the fractal tuner) more than a drive pedal without going to a bigger board (my pedaltrain classic jr is pretty much full).

I did until I realized the FM3 sounds the same if not better than what I use. Would rather save the spot for a fuzz.
For an average TS or SD-1 sure. Guessing you have not tried a Karma MTN-10? So much more string clarity and overall analog feel
I A/B'd with all my FAS go to OD's and not even close

Not an OD, but I use my Carvin Steve Vai Legacy Drive preamp in front of a clean amp model that I tweak to act like a power amp. Sweet Goodness.

The Wampler Belle in front of the Be100 v3, it tightens it up, evens it out, and, and adds sustain…for more modern sound…when desired….Great for high gain stuff or to add sustain to low gain tones….run Belle controls all at noon.

I find that I will only use a vintage Fuzz externally due to the impedance differences, otherwise the drive models are fine for me, though admittedly I don't use a lot of pedals.

I use a Wampler tunmus deluxe. Sounds really good. Must say it is for saving pcu as the overdrive in the fm3 are just very good
Not the FM3, but I put the Tumnus Deluxe in front of the FM9T with excellent results. Heartily recommended.

I intend to try the RYRA Klone as well, as it sounds exceptional in front of an amp… I expect it will sound as good with the FM9T.

How do you guys manage the pedal level when using in front of the FM3?

Is there any limitation/special care required or the pedal level can be used to overdrive the FM3's virtual amp as if it was a real amp?

I have just purchased a face fuzz to use in front of my FM3 and this came to mind (still waiting for the pedal to arrive).

Last edited:
Nah, I find the OD pedal options really good and use the BB and TS and Precision drive the most. When I had my Zoom G3, the OD pedal fx were dire. I ended up driving the amp models with real OD pedal which was the Lunastone True Overdrive 1 pedal, worked very well for both crunchy and clean amps. I also put an Xotic SP1 comp which ended up replacing the OD pedal.
If I were to drive my FM3 with a real OD, it would be either a real BB Preamp or Horizon Precision drive pedals.

Last edited:

Is there any limitation/special care required or the pedal level can be used to overdrive the FM3's virtual amp as if it was a real amp?

I have just purchased a face fuzz to use in front of my FM3 and this came to mind (still waiting for the pedal to arrive).

In general, you can use it like the fractal is a pedal. Depending on a lot of little details, you may need to change the input attenuation setting - if you're getting consistent red lights on the input that you use for your guitar (probably input 1), that's the setting you need to change.

You have to set the external pedal's output level so as to not clip the A/D converters, this is a must!

So, use your pedal(s) in front of the FM3, then use one of the available virtual boosts for the amp block (Amp Input Trim, Boost with the Neutral Setting, another FX Block like Filter/PEQ/Vol-Pan, or a virtual Drive Block etc. There are a number of ways to virtually boost the Amp Block's front end with varying CPU needs.

In every case, don't clip the A/D or D/A converters.

Back
Top Bottom