Anybody like the default presets?

So you're saying double verb patch really should be clean for single coils? Am I the only one with single coils experiencing overdrive on double verb factory preset?
Almost all the Fenders are modeled on late '50s to mid '60s amps, which WILL overdrive fairly easily (just like the originals did), even with fairly hot single coils. These are NOT the late '60s and '70s Silverfaces that you can crank and still get crystal clarity with no dirt. The Super Reverb is based on a mod to make it overdrive more easily. Turn the input trim down to really clean these up.

So you're saying double verb patch really should be clean for single coils? Am I the only one with single coils experiencing overdrive on double verb factory preset?
The fenders amps settings in the factory presets are all (at least the ones I tried before deleting) a little squirrelly.

I brought this up last time that to get a Twin to overdrive you need a humbucker guitar and melt faces with the volume. With the input drive below 4.7 you should not get any overdrive. Typically I keep it around three for straight up cleans and in the 4.5 to 4.7 range for scenes I hit it with an OD pedal.

I'm not sure why but presets just don't represent what we use in the real world. Most effect units are like this. I'd really like to know under what conditions the presets are created and do the creators do it only to demonstrate abilities or do they think they are real world useable.

Reactions: LVC
Totally different experience for me. Some people mentioned that the new presets sound a bit "thin", but I think what they are hearing is that presets now are a bit less boomy than before.
For me the presets on ver 10 sounded boomy on my Tween Focals which I even use for mastering, so I had to remove some bass on the general output settings. Now presets sound fine, so I had to flat the eq again to regain some of the bass and they are sounding great.

In other words, adding a bit of bass on the main eq might help.

I'm not sure why but presets just don't represent what we use in the real world. Most effect units are like this. I'd really like to know under what conditions the presets are created and do the creators do it only to demonstrate abilities or do they think they are real world useable.

It does not matter to me any more because I sort of figured out how to make the black box work for me and my gigging demands ,,, however with 384 slots there is plenty of room for EVH, death metal and moon swirling patches .. all good stuff. But it would be nice to see a few of gig worthy patches that someone can load up and take to a show and play without having to have 20 expression pedals hooked up.

Totally different experience for me. Some people mentioned that the new presets sound a bit "thin", but I think what they are hearing is that presets now are a bit less boomy than before.
For me the presets on ver 10 sounded boomy on my Tween Focals which I even use for mastering, so I had to remove some bass on the general output settings. Now presets sound fine, so I had to flat the eq again to regain some of the bass and they are sounding great.

In other words, adding a bit of bass on the main eq might help.

At least one of the 'thinner' comments was coming from the AXE/PowerAmp/Cab player. The live rig, not studio monitors.
I have no idea 'which' monitoring environment Fractal uses for establishing presets? It would change what we hear. Honestly it has never made any difference personally as I have only played 1 or 2 presets ever.
Not much in there for my style of tone.

Double Verb is clean for me even up to 7 or 8 (And loud). More so now than before. Any of the 'extra' switches engaged such as 'saturation' or 'fat' etc? One of my main Amps is a Twin. This doesn't respond the same to me, but it sounds great with the right guitar.

Double Verb is clean for me even up to 7 or 8 (And loud). More so now than before. Any of the 'extra' switches engaged such as 'saturation' or 'fat' etc? One of my main Amps is a Twin. This doesn't respond the same to me, but it sounds great with the right guitar.

The twin in the fractal is actually my favorite amp and the one I use about 80% of the time on gigs. I think the first think that the person that is finding it is overdriving needs to check is to see if the master is set to 10. I already wiped clean (blank) Bank A so I can't go back and check it.

The twin in the fractal is actually my favorite amp and the one I use about 80% of the time on gigs. I think the first think that the person that is finding it is overdriving needs to check is to see if the master is set to 10.
it's a non-master amp, so the Axe's model should have Master on 10 to be accurate.

The difference between 11b and 11 Release is very minor in terms of basic amp sound. If you were running 11b before and now it doesn't sound right then something is not set up correctly.

I have to echo what Cliff said on this. I normally have issues after a firmware update because "Murphy's Law" just seems to follow me around but so far, it sounds like 11b but without some pops and small issues. I'd do another update.

Yes, yes, I am lazy. People who want AE are lazy since we already have a full functioning FP. So are you using the new AE too?
Why you clear out the first 50 presets? Isn't it because it is easier to use? The only difference is you don't care to delete and I want to keep them. And a simple wish got you labeling me as "too lazy"... You sir, I suggest you be open mind. And that will make you make more senses. Cheer.

I apologize if I offended you with the lazy adjective. Look, there are 384 slots. FAS is NOT going to add 20 more because you don't want to delete some factory presets. They aren't going to delete 20 in their factory banks either. Why should they? They give us users 383 factory and one bypass presets. You can delete whatever ones you don't like to make room for your personal presets. Some people get by with 5 personal presets. Some have hundreds. It changes nothing. There are 384 slots. It's a done deal. Asking them to have bank A start with blank presets makes no sense to me. Sorry. It doesn't take long to rearrange them any way you wish. It will be much easier when Axe Manage is incorporated in AE. And yes I use both AE and the front panel.

I played roughly 10 of the presets.

I know I need to make certain allowances for my guitars, my LP is 'dark' (and I like gittery).

But every one within 30 seconds of tweaking was excellent. Excellent work from Fractal and preset builders.

So, yes. I like the default presets. As a matter of fact, they are the 1st ones that I have been pretty much completely satisfied with. So much that I don't feel any need to build any custom presets...I just need to tweak these into a bank.

But every one within 30 seconds of tweaking was excellent.

I went thru a dozen+ factory presets this evening of various amp/cab combinations and found that was the case for me as well; even just dropping in different amps/cabs without touching the tone controls yielded beautiful tones and one's I'd use live...the factory presets I tried would all work for me and I liked 'em indeed.

Simply put, you have 384 slots to organize however you wish. Adding 10 or 20 more changes nothing. If you want blank slots at the beginning of bank A then clear them out or as you said "remove them". If you want to keep the first 50 or so bank A slots because they are amp specific then put them where you wish. Asking FAS to create 20 blank slots prior to the 384 you already have because you are too lazy to organize your presets makes no sense to me at all. Sorry.

From your perspective, none of the presets are worth keeping resident in the Axe. If you want one, you can just load it.

From the other perspective, we'd like to keep all the presets in the Axe and add some of our own. Even if you go through them all and determine that you'd like to replace 30 of them, it means going in and picking out those 30 and then replacing them.

Me, I like all the plain ol' amp presets. I enjoy some of the other unique ones, but really just twirl the knob to an amp and then adjust as I feel like at the moment. I don't gig, I don't record much, so I don't have many of the issues/needs that many of you have. I do understand the perspective of wanting to keep all the presets though and then having blank ones added that would allow you to add something without losing anything. You could accomplish the same thing by removing half the presets and just having, say, one of the Banks be 64 presets and 63 blanks.

All reminds me of the line in Amadeus when the King tells Mozart that his piece has too many notes and Mozart replies "just tell me which notes to remove and I'll be happy to do it." Which presets should be removed? It's really a matter of taste at to what you like/use.

Remember the days when we had to use 3.5" disks to store files? Now we have a dvd or blu ray. The increase in storage space is incredible. Telling me that I should just load a preset if I want it is tantamount to telling me that I can only save 100 songs on my hard drive and I can just load any other songs I want from a backup cd/dvd if I want to listen to it. It's not a matter of being lazy, if the technology can allow it, it's not dumb to ask for it. Considering that we've dropped over $2k on the Axe, I believe you could probably add enough memory to the unit to allow enough space for more than enough presets/user patches and IRs, etc. without crossing the $100 thresh hold for cost. Memory is cheap today - it would all be a matter of if the technology in the Axe could utilize it (which is a totally different story).

Bottom line, just because you don't agree with the wish doesn't mean it's lacks merit. Some of the features you enjoy now exist because somebody wanted it to go to eleven :)

no disrespect intended, you are quite obviously much more involved/engaged and active with the Axe than I am.

From your perspective, none of the presets are worth keeping resident in the Axe. If you want one, you can just load it.

From the other perspective, we'd like to keep all the presets in the Axe and add some of our own. Even if you go through them all and determine that you'd like to replace 30 of them, it means going in and picking out those 30 and then replacing them.

Me, I like all the plain ol' amp presets. I enjoy some of the other unique ones, but really just twirl the knob to an amp and then adjust as I feel like at the moment. I don't gig, I don't record much, so I don't have many of the issues/needs that many of you have. I do understand the perspective of wanting to keep all the presets though and then having blank ones added that would allow you to add something without losing anything. You could accomplish the same thing by removing half the presets and just having, say, one of the Banks be 64 presets and 63 blanks.

All reminds me of the line in Amadeus when the King tells Mozart that his piece has too many notes and Mozart replies "just tell me which notes to remove and I'll be happy to do it." Which presets should be removed? It's really a matter of taste at to what you like/use.

Remember the days when we had to use 3.5" disks to store files? Now we have a dvd or blu ray. The increase in storage space is incredible. Telling me that I should just load a preset if I want it is tantamount to telling me that I can only save 100 songs on my hard drive and I can just load any other songs I want from a backup cd/dvd if I want to listen to it. It's not a matter of being lazy, if the technology can allow it, it's not dumb to ask for it. Considering that we've dropped over $2k on the Axe, I believe you could probably add enough memory to the unit to allow enough space for more than enough presets/user patches and IRs, etc. without crossing the $100 thresh hold for cost. Memory is cheap today - it would all be a matter of if the technology in the Axe could utilize it (which is a totally different story).

Bottom line, just because you don't agree with the wish doesn't mean it's lacks merit. Some of the features you enjoy now exist because somebody wanted it to go to eleven :)

no disrespect intended, you are quite obviously much more involved/engaged and active with the Axe than I am.

Wow, I seem to have pushed a few persons buttons here. :) Apparently you didn't fully read my posts. I have hundreds of the factory presets resident in my Axe. I use the first 50 or so from factory bank A based on different amps all the time for my starting points. I chose to use the first bank (A) on my II as my playground. It's just the way I laid things out for my workflow. The first 50 are my go to presets and the remaining 78 of bank A I use as placeholders for any cool presets I see from others users that I download. I chose to put factory preset bank A in bank B on my Axe. All 128 of them. As noted I use the Amp based first 50 a lot and when I tweak them to my liking they get saved in one of my first 50 slots in bank A. I went through factory banks B & C and took the ones I liked and loaded bank C with them. So I actually have 256 of the 384 factory presets "residing" on the Axe II.

I have all three factory banks loaded on my PC and can retrieve any preset I did not place physically on the Axe in seconds. It's not rocket science. I really find it hard to believe that 384 preset slots isn't enough for anyone to organize however you wish and be happy. If they added another 128, and yes there is a valid reason why they have increments of 128, then users would want those filled by factory presets as well. It's a open canvas. You can organize them anyway you wish to accommodate your workflow. It will be much easier to do so when Axe Manage gives you the drag and drop capability for multiple presets but in the meantime we have the tools to manipulate them.

Heck. I load the factory banks over my configured banks all the time while testing. If you use the onboard save and restore functions along with the software (AE & Bot) you can configure your banks in any manner you wish. I never said there was no merit to having blank presets where you can sore your hard work. I do just that. I just don't think it should be on FAS to organize how we lay them out. I like having the choices to configure my banks however I see fit. I do however find it silly to think FAS should create 20 more slots because I cannot decide which 20 factory presets to delete that I can easily retrieve with the push of a button should I want them later. I actually think we are blessed they took the time to create 384 examples to begin with.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone but to me it's just common sense.

Last edited:
I've had mixed opinions after 9.xx. I really liked my 9.xx tones and wasn't so sold on the later releases
10 and 11b sounded WAY too bright / harsh ( sizzle?) for my tastes. Most everyone else seemed to be loving them and the clips Cliff would post were so awesome, I figured that I must be doing something wrong. I've just grown accustomed to redialing in my presets every release.

I loaded 11 tonight and so far all that über brightness/harshness is gone. So I'm happy to not have to redial every new factory preset while I'm checking them out.
Not sure what happened, just enjoying the ride for now.
Many thanks to FAS team for all their hard work on both axe edit and the firmware etc.
Cheers

From the other perspective, we'd like to keep all the presets in the Axe and add some of our own.
Honestly, this sounds like a form of OCD to me, and we can all have those for different reasons ;)
New and old banks can always be made available in Axe Edit and it's a snap to have the deleted sound again.
My OCD wish would be to have every great preset ever available in hardware, for example.

So I understand the "need" and I can experience it too, but the current situation seems by far the best. I don't wanna lose out on a preset that may rock my world by leaving 10 spots empty. There are enough big name sounds lacking as is. And I certainly dont want ROM presets I can never change.

What would clear up the problem for me though, is grouping all (for me) over the top special FX presets that I don't wanna hear more than twice in my life (so irritating when going through all presets...).
If only they would group them in one bank, then those who love them have 'em all in once place and people who "hate" them can easily get their empty slots by deleting them.

I really don't understand why they don't do that. It's not as the Axe is sitting for sale in shops where people make their judgement by going through presets and need to hear all diversity a.s.a.p.

I *do* understand it takes an organisational effort from their part too and that it can be done by a community member ;)

Back
Top Bottom