Anybody else got love for Celestion IRs?

macfly

Inspired
I'm about 6 months into the rabbit hole with the AX8, and have done gigs with it for most of that time. Throughout this period I completely abandoned my real amp/cab/fx8 and just focused on the AX8. That turned out to be a mistake...while I was loving the sounds I was getting, when I did finally go back to my amp, I realized that the tones I was getting were not that great. In the process, I changed speakers in my real cab, from 1980s G12-80s (not Classic Leads) to Creamback Neos. Simply put, they are magnificent. Shaved 12 lbs off my 212 cabs and they sound better.

The point? In my AX8 tonequest, I've been trying lots of IRs...been using a factory one, but bought a few Ownhammers, Redwirez, etc. A couple of months ago, I bought a few Celestions: G12-65, Greenbacks, V-30, H-30, etc. Never really found one I loved--in my AX8 nor in my Torpedo Live...there were a couple of factory ones in each that I just gravitated too...

Last night I went back to Celestion and noticed Creamback Neos, so I bought a 412 version. My real Dirty Shirley sounds great through real Creamback Neos, and low and behold, the BEv2 I've been using in the AX8 sounds phenomenal with the Creamback Neo 412 mic'd with a Royer 121. For the first time, with minimal eq, my AX8 sounds great both in my UE7 IEMs and Atomic CLR. Search over...until next time I'm sure, but really happy right now!!!

Fractal's factory Celestion mixes 185-189 are excellent, which steered me in that direction. I now have several of the of the Celestion IRs. I still have an G12-35XC and an Celestion A-Type; so I was able to compare the IR with the actual speakers: and the IRs sound nearly identical to the loaded cabinets: impressive, considering that a monitor has a wider dispersion than a beamy resonating cabinet . The variances of reflections in space constitute the discernible differences.

Each of Celestion's speaker IRs has an extensive but not overwhelming variety of studio type mic/cab combinations and also a range of amp in the room ambient mixes: which have given an optimal choice for any live or studio use that has arisen. I've also had/used extensively Greenbacks, Creambacks and V30s, and these IRs also line up with my previous experience of them and interact predictably with the amp models.

The Lynchback 4X12 IR is a personal favorite as it satisfies my perennial need for conjuring the sonic aura of a 70's cast frame Fane. Out of the hundreds of Celestion Lynchback IR options, I've found one I rely on for most uses: and 3 others are on call that are better optimized for specific circumstances. But my 4 would not be your 4: I think choosing from a wide selection is helpful to allow a good 'color match' for an amp and tonal palette of the performer. Having one option and making it work is another way to go, of course; and for that there's the actual cabinet.

I appreciate being able to audition clips of each cabinet on the Celestion site, and also to just buy one cabinet if that's all that's needed.

Thanks for the heads up on the Creamback Neo/Dirty Shirley. I'll add the Neo sooner than later.

Last edited:
The Celestions were a great addition to the factory cabs. Those creambacks have a nice tight bottom end. Sweet!!!

I've liked the various Celestion IRs they've put out. The Suhr versions are real good. I think the Celestion IRs don't hype lows and highs like some of the others out there. Might just be my ears...

Back
Top Bottom