Anybody cop a good Splawn amp tone?

ronmail65

The Splawn ProMod is my benchmark amp tone -- LOVE IT! I'm trying to match a 2nd gear mid gain setting on this amp to a preset dry amp sound in the Axe Fx. The closest amp simulator to me, is the Brown amp with the JCM800 running a close second.

I'm just trying to nail a great, dry, gainey tube amp tone. Then build from there.

I haven't had enough experience with Splawn amps to try to nail one in the Axe-FX, but another amp that comes to mind is the SLO. I wouldn't rule that one out for getting there.

D

I use a Tape distortion into a dual amp Jcm 800 & Soldano patch with a graphic eq that is close I A/B'd my quick rod about a year ago and haven't really used the amp since but everyones tone is different. I find those 2 amps blended with the tape distortion get me in the ball park. Now there is the Drive block mix control (awesome) and the Warmth (wicked awesome) to help shape the tone...

Tweakin is where its at....

Maybe Big Hair would get you there? in the manual, it states...

"Relive the 80's metal scene. This custom type has a unique voicing and tone stack that emphasizes mid frequencies without getting muddy. Now plug in and shred!"

That sounds exactly how I would describe the Spalwn. Hot-rodded Marshall, 80's metal sound with a mid-emphasis without the mud. I'd start there. I saw Cliff mentioned some Splawn Cab IR's coming soon, so maybe the combo of those two will get you there. A Splawn model would be nice.

Check out Pete Thorns George Lynch patch he made (at my request! - thanks again, Pete). Turned out awesome, and sounds great on 6.x. I made some minor adjustments to it with the Warmth & Thump parameters & it is very Lynchy & much like my friends Splawn Quickrod, which is the best amp Ive ever heard for copping that late 80s - early 90s Lynch tone (Randall cant touch it), as well as the Brown tones.

I think that would be a good start. Since the Splawns are completely Marshall based (ever since his early days of modding Marshalls), the Marshall sims on the Axe-Fx would be the best place to start.

Back
Top Bottom