Any way to boost the input?

Thanks, I added a filter block to the CA3+ preset (i added to a new row because it was full so I think I've just bypassed the compressor with lines going around it. Anyhow I right-click the yellow circle below "level" in the filter block (In Axe-Edit) and an edit modifier window pops up. I change Source to Pedal 1 and dial volume knob on pedal to maximize range on graph, but it doesn't seem to do much, I mean in terms of gain adjustment...

it doesn't seem to do much, I mean in terms of gain adjustment...

i added to a new row because it was full so I think I've just bypassed the compressor with lines going around it.
if you created a parallel row, then you have 2 signals eventually going to the amp block. this complicates things.

this may not be the exact cause of hearing no change, but a Filter block before an amp with the Level turned up to 20dB will definitely make a huge difference.

can you post a screenshot of your Layout with the Filter block added? is the Filter block engaged?

dial volume knob on pedal to maximize range on graph
also what does this mean? what volume knob? this shouldn't be adjusted really. it should be set to the minimum physical value so you get the full range of the pedal itself.

when you right click the parameter, the Modifier screen pops up - this is where you set Pedal 1, etc. right on this screen is a Min and Max knob. that's what i meant when saying to adjust your Min and Max. instead of having it go from -80 dB (min) to +20 dB (max), change those knobs to say 0dB (min) and +10 (max). then you can move the pedal along its entire range, and you'll only be going from 0 to 10, rather than -80 to +20. much more usable that way.

1. It sounds like you've set the filter block up in parallel - it would be better to be in series with the other FX blocks. You can break the existing full row of FX into 2 rows by using a Send 1 near the end of the row and then a Return 1 block on another row.

2. Did you boost the level parameter in the Filter block first? That level would be your '100%' 'Max' value in the modifier settings (full toe down on the exp pedal) - then your 'Min' value will need manually set to be your normal unboosted level - this value will not be zero as that would kill all signal when the pedal is heel down

Guys thanks. I tried to find a default preset with open spaces to put filter block in same row to make things simple. Unfortunately it seems like all the default presets haven't left much room before the amp..

Does it really need to be in the same row? I am not hearing the same changes from adjusting Level on filter block as adjusting output on Input block. Do I have this right ? you guys are saying level on filter block is EXACTLY the same as Output on input block?

It seems the Input block Output level has more treble than the Level of the Filter block? I can make another audio sample if this doesn't make sense...

It seems the Input block Output level has more treble than the Level of the Filter block? I can make another audio sample if this doesn't make sense...
i may have omitted an important setting - in the Filter block, make sure the TYPE selected is NULL. this just means no change in EQ. though i think that is the default...

yes it does matter if it's in the same row because with parallel rows, you have a duplicate signal that isn't being affected by the Filter block. when you add a drive pedal to a real guitar setup, you don't connect a second separate cable from the guitar to the pedal - you use the same cable from the guitar to pedal to amp. that's what keeping the same row does.

how about this - as a test, replace the compressor block with that Filter block - just don't save the preset. then you are in the same row and can test how it sounds.

it'd still be good to see a screenshot or some picture of the Layout with the Filter block to make sure you're doing it correctly.

It seems like +10db in filter block level is equal to +5 db in input block output level in terms of gain, but the treble isn't similar even with type set to Null in the filter block.

Attachments

• filter.png
    filter.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 13
It seems like +10db in filter block level is equal to +5 db in input block output level in terms of gain, but the treble isn't similar even with type set to Null in the filter block.
interesting. thanks for the screen shot - things look proper.

i'll have to test that when i get home tonight. to my knowledge there shouldn't be any difference between increasing the In1 Output vs increasing the Filter Block output, as arranged in that Layout.

what specific parameter are you adjusting in the Input block?

Back
Top Bottom