Any way to adjust headphone output separately

hszzz

I'm using HD800s with fx3 as my interface. But I can't turn the out1 knob more than 9 o'clock since it's too loud in my headphone. Will it affect the output quality?

I'm using HD800s with fx3 as my interface. But I can't turn the out1 knob more than 9 o'clock since it's too loud in my headphone. Will it affect the output quality?
I don't think that's a problem at all. It's about the same for me.

I suggest you create a "headphone level" block preset (maybe just a basic volume block) to use with your headphones. You can then set the gain in the saved block by a level you like, so you don't have to adjust the knob when using speakers. Just simply add the block in from your block library when you want to play with headphones!

I guess another alternative would be to use Output 2 for your monitors, but this would require presets with Output 1 and Output 2 hooked up (or swapping these blocks out when you want to use headphones), this way each knob would be independent (1 for headphones, 2 for speakers).

Last edited:
I suggest you create a "headphone level" block preset (maybe just a basic volume block) to use with your headphones. You can then set the gain in the saved block by a level you like, so you don't have to adjust the knob when using speakers. Just simply add the block in from your block library when you want to play with headphones!

I guess another alternative would be to use Output 2 for your monitors, but this would required presets with Output 1 and Output 2 hooked up (or swapping these blocks out when you want to use headphones), this way each knob would be independent (1 for headphones, 2 for speakers).
The second way seems to be good!!!

“Any way to adjust headphone output separately”

No. It’s hard wired to Output 1.

Will it affect the output quality?
it depends on whether you have something else listening/attached to Out 1 and what its headroom is.

You can reroute the signal different ways. See Section 4 in the manual for ideas.

If you're using both headphones and monitor speakers, it's best to use a small mixer and plug them both into the mixer. That way you can control them independently. See configuration #2 in the recording guide for details.

The way I handle that is with a dual level control connected between the Axe-FX Output 1 and my studio monitors. This lets me set independent volume for headphones and monitors.

Here's what I use:
Radial SAT-2 Stereo Audio Attenuator Monitor Controller
https://www.radialeng.com/product/sat-2

There are less expensive products on the market, but I like this one. It also lets me mute, switch to mono, and has a "dim" feature.

1676551538721.png

The way I handle that is with a dual level control connected between the Axe-FX Output 1 and my studio monitors. This lets me set independent volume for headphones and monitors.

Here's what I use:
Radial SAT-2 Stereo Audio Attenuator Monitor Controller
https://www.radialeng.com/product/sat-2

There are less expensive products on the market, but I like this one. It also lets me mute, switch to mono, and has a "dim" feature.

View attachment 116207
I tried the method of using Output 2 for my studio monitors and it works very well - and costs nothing. However, the Copy Output 1 function doesn't apply to USB routing.

Post in thread 'USB Reamping - Default Settings for I/O' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-reamping-default-settings-for-i-o.191293/post-2377762

My monitors are self powered and have an attenuator that I use to match levels w/ phones.

I also keep my monitors on their own power switch, so they can be switched on and off at will.

I run my output through a small Yamaha 2 channel mixer. When listening through headphones I turn the speaker volume down at the mixer.

I set output 2 to copy output 1 in settings, so I don’t need to remember to add a block. Then Out 2 goes to mixer (or monitors in your setup), and out 1 is just headphones/IEM level.
This is what I did, and works fine for me.
I use the wired K240 from the front, control with output 1 knob. My IEM is connected to Output 1 as well.
Output 2 goes to my FRFRs, and controlled by Output 1 knob.

Back
Top Bottom