Any upgrade options for recent purchasers?

Cliff stated a couple months back that the Ultra was pretty much full. It was a where we were discussing the standard and somebody refereed us to a post where he stated the Ultra was almost full (for lack of better term).

A "couple months back" is when I EMAILED Fractal Audio about any future updates/upgrades, to be sure before I purchased. They said nothing planned and they don't disclose that info anyway. One reason I bought the Ultra was because of the updated software version, It would have at least been nice to hear that the memory was almost maxed out and no more updates for the ULTRA, when I specifically asked:(

It's kind of an unusual situation, where the existing product remains ahead of the competition, and a new product is further ahead. The good news is the Ultra does way more than most of us need already. When Cliff works on new amps for the FXII, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of those same models show up for the Ultra. Don't forget the Standard and Ultra have two expression pedal inputs, while the FXII only has one. ;)

They said nothing planned and they don't disclose that info anyway. One reason I bought the Ultra was because of the updated software version, It would have at least been nice to hear that the memory was almost maxed out and no more updates for the ULTRA, when I specifically asked:(

What I've learned in the past week is that it's Fractal's policy not to discuss upcoming releases, although for this release they seemed to go with the under-promise/over-deliver route, bluff that nothing was coming out and then release something monumental. It seems that with other releases like the MFC, talking about the upcoming products only got people worked up and pressing for it to be released, so they went a different direction with the Axe II. It's dramatic marketing and I understand not discussing the release, but the bluffing worked against me as I made my purchase decision based on some comments like the above. I missed any comments that the Ultra was about full - wish I'd have seen that and done more research.

Yeah and Mesa Boogie should let everyone who bought a Mark IV send their amp back and get a Mark V. You people are unbelievable get over it! You all sound like a bunch of fuckin crybabies!
You could start by being polite.

To OP - I don't think anything's happening. Plus I agree somewhat with what few posters/mods said here. We bought the Axe-Fx and not the right to future firmware or any other form of updates. We might have taken cues from the past where firmware updates were abundan, but that was probably because Cliff was devoted to GenI. As other users have noticed, in recent months, firmware updates were fewer and not so "whoa".

Let it be - the Axe Standard/Ultra still do what they do best. They are kick-ass processors without any competition yet. Look at it this way - the AxeII plugs into USB, so does a POD. The Axe-FX GenI doesn't plug into an USB, and so don't the greatest amps of all times.

Lest the woe and wrath of Cliff-hangers befall me, that last comment was not to be taken seriously

Last edited:
You could start by being polite.

To OP - I don't think anything's happening. Plus I agree somewhat with what few posters/mods said here. We bought the Axe-Fx and not the right to future firmware or any other form of updates. We might have taken cues from the past where firmware updates were abundan, but that was probably because Cliff was devoted to GenI. As other users have noticed, in recent months, firmware updates were fewer and not so "whoa".

Let it be - the Axe Standard/Ultra still do what they do best. They are kick-ass processors without any competition yet. Look at it this way - the AxeII plugs into USB, so does a POD. The Axe-FX GenI doesn't plug into an USB, and so don't the greatest amps of all times.

Lest the woe and wrath of Cliff-hangers befall me, that last comment was not to be taken seriously

I should be polite? I have never in my life seen so many ungrateful people bitching about a product release. It's like they think that Cliff owes them something for coming out with a newer and improved Axe-Fx. If people ran their business that way they wouldn't be in business for long. This happens all the time in the world of electronics as well as many other kinds of products. If you don't like the way Fractal handled the release boo hoo! Go buy a Line 6 product or something. There are many people that are appreciative for what Cliff has accomplished in the digital realm me being one of them and will buy an Axe-Fx II with the sale of my outdated Ultra...

Last edited:
I should be polite? I have never in my life seen so many ungrateful people bitching about a product release. It's like they think that Cliff owes them something for coming out with a newer and improved Axe-Fx. If people ran their business that way they wouldn't be in business for long. This happens all the time in the world of electronics as well as many other kinds of products. If you don't like the way Fractal handled the release boo hoo! Go buy a Line 6 product or something. There are many people that are appreciative for what Cliff has accomplished in the digital realm me being one of them.

Well, you have the option of not "seeing" them....right?

EDIT : Chillout man! I was one of the vociferous ones here...although I have made my peace by partly coming to understand the other side of the story, and partly reading a post on rigtalk, I still don't agree with it. That doesnt give me a right to call people names.
Just enjoy whatever you play, or are planning to play through. Thats what counts in the end.

One of the benefits of owning this product is that we can actually chat directly to the designer in here. If I was him though I would quit coming in here from all this whining that I see all over this forum.

One of the benefits of owning this product is that we can actually chat directly to the designer in here. If I was him though I would quit coming in here from all this whining that I see all over this forum.

Seriously....what are you doing now?
There is no benefit chatting directly to the designer. Every designer of every product knows what customers are saying. We have the benefit of having a guy who listens ad acts to his customer feedback. I could throw a product out into the market, chat with everybody and his nanny for 6 months, and do nothing to improve. Cliff didnt do that, and thats why he has the customer base that he has now.

If you said that you feel great that you bought a great product, I'd agree with you. It's all that matters to me. I don't mean to take away from Cliff....he's doing a great job of what he does. I'm a bit skeptical "like"ing whatever he posts. Hey but guess what, this is his forums.

Don't read too much into it. Probably all I wanted to say was that once the dust settles, people would realize that the Axe-Fx is just a product. Right now it looks like everybody is either married to Cliff or a bitter ex.

Yeah and Mesa Boogie should let everyone who bought a Mark IV send their amp back and get a Mark V. You people are unbelievable get over it! You all sound like a bunch of fuckin crybabies!

That analogy doesn't really support your point. The Mark V was shown at NAMM months before it was available. There were YouTube demos of it months before it was released. The Mark IV was taken out of the product line long before the Mark V was announced. (Of course they have a much bigger product line)

If FAS would just tell these people I think it would help tremendously, even if it's not the answer they want. Will there be some sort of break for people who just bought? You can argue either way, and I'm sure FAS has thought about it. Why is there no answer? Only a response about the Facebook thing? Will v11 be the last update to the stadard/ultra? Lots of speculation, why not an answer? Yes, no, maybe? I hope the answer is not yes, but that would be better than silence...

Back
Top Bottom