Any UA Apollo Experts Here?

pharmd07

Experienced
So I'm making some IRs with my Apollo Twin X. I've done this many times before with success using the Mic+DI method as described in the manual. This time I'm trying something new by using a Unison enabled plug-in (UA 610-B) on the Apollo to change the mic input impedance. I've read time and time again that an SM57 sounds dramatically different depending on the input impedance of the mic preamp.

The UA 610-B Unison plug-in allows you to change the input impedance on the Apollo Twin X to either 500 ohms or 2k ohms. However the resulting IRs are identical regardless of input impedance settings. I know they are identical because they sound the same, and they cancel each other out when combined in Cab Lab with one of the IRs out of phase.

So I have 2 theories:
1) I'm missing some important setting in the Apollo Twin X; or
2) The input impedance really does not affect the sound of the SM57 as stated in various sources on the internet.

The IRs I'm making sound good, but I was expecting some difference when changing the impedance. I've tried this with both an SM57 and a 545SD, with no effect from input impedance setting changes.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom