Any tones matches of the ultra (periphery first album style)?

A LOT of the Periphery tone is the Bass. FAS Modern with an 808 infront (pretty standard) will get you the tone but the hugeness of it is all the bass.

To get his overdrive tone keep your amp gain low. On your T-808 turn the tone up all the way and the gain all the way down.

It was a dual tone on the Ultra of a compressor, gate/expander, T-808 MOD, the Dual Rec (Recto New) and the Das Metal, a GEQ, the Metal 4x12 with a 57, and another GEQ ... couldn't tell you the exact settings as that tone is long gone (as is my ultra), but it was their exact tone. Never mind how I got it, but I know for a fact it was used on their first album ;)

You could get a very similar tone on the II using those, but since so much has changed since the Ultra, it would take quite a bit of tweaking. Also, keep in mind that they were using Bare Knuckle Pickups Painkillers which have a large high-mid spike which gives their tone that added bite. You could potentially compensate with a PEQ block before getting to anything I suppose.

Wow, nice. Thanks!

I'd love to get a TM of that setting. I simply can't get close. I like how it's "sandy" sounding. Doesn't really sound like a real amp necessarily but killer non-the-less.

And with regard to their tone being mostly about the bass guitar, nah, not on the first album. Just listen to the intros to a couple songs where the tones are solo'd.

Wait... Why don't I just TM that? Haha

TS808 -> FAS Modern -> Tone match the left channel from "The Walk" and you'll get it easily. It's a very weird tone, sounds scooped but it isn't... 'sandy' is a good adjective for it.

I do have a patch I put together that was Tone Matched from Letter Experiment. It's been my 'go to' distortion patch. Guess I should throw it up on Axe-Change.

I'll post it tonight. I'd been trying to do some other mods to the patch but kept running into the tone match issue that has been looming about. Of course, I haven't tried the FW 10.04 assuming that's even helped. Either way, it still sounds awesome.

I have tested the patch with both Bareknuckle Aftermath pickups, Bareknuckle Nailbombs, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, EMG 81/85, and EMG 81-7 (B) / 707 (N) Active p.u. in a variety of guitars.

You could also try boosting 1400hz in a PEQ block. 1400hz is the "djent" frequency. I've had loads of bitchin' tones using this trick

Back
Top Bottom