Any Tone Loss with A Vafam Panel?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I'm running a Vafam panel in my axe rig. I order to keep all the cables inside the rig I'm running my wireless out to the Vafam panel and then just a short 3" George L cable from the front of the panel to the axe front input.

Would running those extra connections and cables be a bad idea tone wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. You've got far longer cable runs in your rig than the what? 1/4 m of cable that a panel adds?

No. You've got far longer cable runs in your rig than the what? 1/4 m of cable that a panel adds?

I agree. There should no tone / signal loss *

* I don't mean literally "it's absolutely 100% exactly the same as if the Vafam panel wasn't there", but I do mean "assuming the connectors are clean / not oxidized (which they shouldn't be, because they're high quality and the very act of plugging in actually helps clean the contacts), the signal loss contributed by the Vafam panel's high-quality connectors and short high-quality cables is so microscopically small that you'd need a very sensitive multimeter to even detect it".

I'm running a Vafam panel in my axe rig. I order to keep all the cables inside the rig I'm running my wireless out to the Vafam panel and then just a short 3" George L cable from the front of the panel to the axe front input.

Would running those extra connections and cables be a bad idea tone wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, of course it will degrade the signal but it's probably to a degree that you wouldn't notice at all. Vafam has professional grade connections (soldering job is superb). But if your wireless is in the rack, why not run a cable from the receiver to THROUGH the front between two rack spaces. Usually you can squeeze a cable through the front of the rack if you screw the unit above slightly higher and the one below slightly lower. I do this when necessary but use a thinner quad cable and 90 degree jacks. That way it will be one less cable to worry about... also, there's really no harm in going in the read input instead - especially since you probably have a line level signal coming from the receiver not a direct guitar signal.

As Grape mentioned. My rack is a SKB so it was easy to drill a hole in the plastic.

Avv004f.jpg

Well it's possible but highly improbable, aside from a cold solder joint or a bad connector from the factory. The only other way that could happen is if there was an impedance mismatch in the cables being used. You need to be mindful of the George L connections as they can have problems because they are of a mechanical type.

That said if you pay attention to how you cut the ends and installed them into the connectors it should be fine. I also use George L from my wireless to the front input and have not had any problems.

I may actually try and drill a hole through the front. I never thought of that. My rack is soon to be full so there were no open spots to the run a cable through so drilling is necessary. I've never been a fan of George L's personally. Too many failures with them in the past. I may have redco make me a custom cable instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i come out of my wireless to a switching jack. From the jack to the input of the AFII. Works great. If I plug a cable into the switching jack it goes straight to the input. If there is no cable, the wireless goes to the input. Keeps the wear and tear down on the AFII input jack.

e5d6008e544634a247bc119b15ee4ed9.jpg

Here's my rack now but the last 1U is soon to be filled

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you switch sides with the wireless? If so you can turn the blank side into a patch panel of sorts and install a 1/4" jack, make a jumper to go from that to your Axe input. Thats what I did with mine and it works great, clean and sano!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom