Any tips on getting a loud clean boost??

Brogen72

Inspired
Hey guys,

I see that all the you tube videos I found are out of date with the recent Firmware updates we've seen. I was wondering what the latest and most common way to boost my mid to high gain presets should be. I am looking to cleanly boost the overall volume of my presets with loud clear cutting db's when soloing. Preferably w/o a drive block. I was using filters before but I always seem to fight the red clip light. Is that still the best way?

How about adding an external clean boost pedal like the EP Boost? Is that possible? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Jason

Use a graphic eq block in the mix, post amp/cab. Boost the gain that way and keep the freq slides flat, or boost them to your liking. Always worked well with traditional heads. Just a suggestion.

You clip because your rhythm sounds are already close to clipping. As with any digital device, to leave headroom to boost the volume, your rhythm sounds must be low enough to allow the boost.

If you want a clean, perfectly transparent boost, copy scene 1 to scene 2. Go to the output tab and add up to 20dB of clean signal. Then just switch scene 1 to 2 whenever you want a volume boost.

If you want a clean, perfectly transparent boost, copy scene 1 to scene 2. Go to the output tab and add up to 20dB of clean signal. Then just switch scene 1 to 2 whenever you want a volume boost.

What is the best control to use in scene 2 to get this boost? Input trim maybe"

20 dB ?! :shock

What is the best control to use in scene 2 to get this boost? Input trim maybe"

No because that just adds gain when using a high-gain amp. Also you can't set that parameter differently from scene 1, unless you use a scene controller.
The best way (in this scenario) is using the GAIN control in Layout > Mixer.

I use a filter block as the last block in my chain. I have the type set to NULL. I then bump the gain about 4-6 db. I do not notice much "coloring" this way. Be aware of the FM curve though.

I use a filter block as the last block in my chain. I have the type set to NULL. I then bump the gain about 4-6 db. I do not notice much "coloring" this way. Be aware of the FM curve though.

Same.

I also use it to roll off the highs if I need it. E.g. really playing a loud gig and the highs are too harsh.

I do this, but raise the level instead of gain.

I do this, but raise the level instead of gain.

So far this is the best way I have found too. Filter block at the very end of the chain and turned on for Scene 3 with the level boosted until just before it clips. Scene 1 I use for a mostly dry amp setting like no chorus or delay just amp and reverb. Scene 2 I add chorus and delay so now I have two different rhythm sounds, and then Scene 3 with the Filter boost for solos. Then if I want some phase over my solos I just hit the Phase effect or Flanger maybe and this way I don't have to mess with more Scenes. Three Scenes seems to work well for me, I am usually just using Scene 2 and 3 90% of the time depending on the song.

Simple and easy, the only hard part is keeping all the amp & rhythm effect levels low enough to avoid clipping but I'm getting better at it.

Simple and easy, the only hard part is keeping all the amp & rhythm effect levels low enough to avoid clipping but I'm getting better at it.

What I do is get my non-solo scene right under clipping when I play my hardest with the filter block disabled.

Then copy it to the solo scene and activate my filter block in the solo scene.

Now, whatever boost I add to the solo scene, I subtract from the amp level in both the solo and non-solo scenes.

What I do is get my non-solo scene right under clipping when I play my hardest with the filter block disabled.

Then copy it to the solo scene and activate my filter block in the solo scene.

Now, whatever boost I add to the solo scene, I subtract from the amp level in both the solo and non-solo scenes.

Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom