Any software for converting chord chart to midi?

grandinq

Power User
Hi everyone! I am playing guitar for the pit band of Legally Blonde at the school I teach at. The music is very challenging for me as I do not typically read charts when I play. I enjoy the challenge but there is one piece that is overwhelming me. It’s called Blood in the Water and has a 1920’s jazz feel to it. The chords change constantly and are complex. For example, I have never played a C minor 11 b5 in my life.
Does anyone know if there is software out there where I could scan in a bit of it and have it turn it to midi so I can analyze the chords better and slow down the tempo to practice? I know Google is miy friend and all that but if someone has experience I would like to tap into that. Thanks!

I don’t know of anything that will scan a chord chart, but chord mode in Cubase does a good job of producing midi from chord symbols. Also Band in a Box.

Do you have the score? If so, there are programs to convert a score to tab. A free one is Power Tab Editor. That may be your best option.

I don’t know of anything that will scan a chord chart, but chord mode in Cubase does a good job of producing midi from chord symbols. Also Band in a Box.

I do indeed have Cubase. I have never tried chord mode. Thank you!

It won’t scan them for you but ireal pro could help you with learning chords, slowing down the tracks etc. if you are willing to type in the chords and create your own lead sheet.

It’s $20usd last I remember and a great resource with 1000s of charts, but if it’s just for learning one song might not be worth it.

Musescore (.org) does something similar functionality wise and has a free version but I don’t have any experience with the software to give it any recommendation

I have never played a C minor 11 b5 in my life.
For this type of stuff it’s best to just keep it simple, I usually stick to the top 3 strings and play 2-4 note inversions or even single notes that fit into each chord, since the rest of the band will be handling the rest of the chord. Even if you could figure out a voicing to simultaneously play all 6 notes in a Cm11b5 on guitar, it would be a muddy mess.

Last edited:
For this type of stuff it’s best to just keep it simple, I usually stick to the top 3 strings and play 2-4 note inversions or even single notes that fit into each chord, since the rest of the band will be handling the rest of the chord. Even if it were possible to simultaneously play all 6 notes in a Cm11b5 on guitar, it would be a muddy mess.

Thanks. That’s where I am landing, no time for bass notes — that’s why there is a bass player right? I have spent a few hours this morning and I am about 90 seconds in. Very humbling experience!

Back
Top Bottom