Any small wireless systems?

Hansen

Experienced
Does anybody know whether there exists a wireless system similar to the Line 6 Relay G10, where you just plug a transmitter into your guitar, but where also the receiver is so small that it can be plugged directly into the input on the Axe instead of being an extra box mounted on the pedalboard?

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but I own a G10, and it is great. It's so convenient and sounds great. I connect it directly to the axe, in my rack case. But...
In bigger places than small pubs, it does drop out, so it cannot be trusted for big shows.
Tried it in a stadium once, with lots of lights and a huge audience, result - 2 seconds of audio, 2 seconds of silence. Even though, i didn't move away from the receiver more than ~4 meters.
Not fully satisfied.

Having owned 4 or 5 different wireless units over the course of the journey, I've discovered that you do get what you pay for. There's nothing wrong with the 'cheap and cheerful' units out there, but as @FreeMind mentioned, you will get drop outs when there's more going on on stage than the usual pub gig.

The Sennheiser stuff, the Shure GLXD16 and even the Line 6 G70 are excellent. No drops outs or interference.

To answer the OP's question, I'd recommend either the Shure GLXD16 or the Line 6 G70.. pedalboard mountable.. can't go wrong. If you've got Fractal gear in your setup, then you're already using the best possible gear/technology out there.. why wouldn't you use the best possible wireless system to match it up with? Not a dig, just a thought. I know if I owned a Ferrari, I wouldn't put re-treads on it..

Looked at this on Amazon, and there were a few similar units listed as well. The Rowin and Cloudwire look like the same form factor with different cosmetics - both of them were less expensive and had many more negative reviews. The Xvive could be cool if I ever decide to upgrade from my current one. I love the idea of plugging straight into the AX8 - it would save me a rack space and I could use less cables.

I wonder though if it would swing around or get bumped hanging from the guitar... thinking of guitars like PRS, LP, etc where the jack is on the side. I'm sure it'd stay nicely if it's on top like a Strat or 335, as long as it doesn't scratch.

The Line 6 G10 transmitter is awesome, but why oh why did they do the receiver with USB power, and a flimsy micro-usb at that. I've had one break and I gave it to an electronics guru to see if he could somehow solder wires on the board instead and use a larger usb connector. My idea was that maybe it would be possible to rehouse in a different case with the better power connector. He hasn't got back to me yet so don't know the result.

I really wish that line 6 would make like a G20, using the G10 transmitter with a more pedalboard friendly receiver using standard 9V power.

I wonder though if it would swing around or get bumped hanging from the guitar... thinking of guitars like PRS, LP, etc where the jack is on the side. I'm sure it'd stay nicely if it's on top like a Strat or 335, as long as it doesn't scratch.

I broke my G10 transmitter once... I have no idea how, but after the show, it was just dangling there split in half, with only wires holding it together...

i've definitely bumped my g10 transmitter while it's on my guitar. more than a few times put the guitar away in the bag with it plugged in too. but it works well and is pretty sturdy considering all that. it comes with a right angle adaptor if you want it to curve along the body instead of sticking out like that. (strats really ruin the design for us all :p )

i use one of those "mag-safe" style USB cables for mine. a little connector stays in the receiver USB jack and i don't remove it over and over. then the cable magnetically attaches to that part for a secure connection. no issues at all, just don't step on the cable causing a 90 degree "bend" which will disconnect the magnet.

+1 for Xvive U2 system.
Easy to charge off usb and easy to use. If you have piezo/active, (any batteries) you might get a hum and some people have talked about resolving that by extending it, (with a mono female to mono male cable) to a pouch on your strap which is what I do when using a strap.

Having said that I don't gig really at all yet and don't know how it holds up in that kind of situation.

+1 for Xvive U2 system

I got this for myself during holiday sales and gigged with it twice. Works great. No discernible signal difference between it and a high quality cord. No drop at all in two venues that were pretty much dumps. Much easier to move around on stage and check levels when setting up. I like it much better than the older Seinhauser (sp?) I had at one time. I mainly play a Strat and it sticks fine but I have also used with a PRS with no problem.

Yep, the Xvive U2 is a good sounding, small and inexpensive solution. I've used it on huge and small stages and have only ever experienced dropout when there's a couple of them in close proximity, but that's usually rectified by channel changing. They've just released a new one also - the B2. I'll throw a demo up on my channel when I get a chance.

Has any of you had problems with this on stage? I am looking for something I can use on tours and I very much like that I do not need to mounth a wireless pedal on my pedalboard.

Yep, the Xvive U2 is a good sounding, small and inexpensive solution. I've used it on huge and small stages and have only ever experienced dropout when there's a couple of them in close proximity, but that's usually rectified by channel changing. They've just released a new one also - the B2. I'll throw a demo up on my channel when I get a chance.

I am going on a European tour in not too long. Is this unit reliable enough to use on stage? Will play medium size stages, up to 400 people attendance.

I have gigged with it twice but in smaller venues. Like 100 people. The instructions say not to run it near a wireless router as that can cause interference. I did not get interference testing it in my studio 3 feet from a router.

Back
Top Bottom