Any SC607b owner?

Skyadron

Inspired
Hi! I bought a LTD SC 607B a couple months ago, very good looking instrument and very easy to play. But I haven't been that happy with the high gain tones I'm getting from it with the axe fx 2. It seems to have too much low end on it, and I always end up having to use a filter with a t808 with mids boosted to get minimum note definition and avoid muddy tones. Since I've always had a better experience using the axe fx with passive pickups (my old guitar had di'marzio's in it and I loved them, but I had to sell it when I moved), I've been thinking of changing it pickups but since it's stock pups are emg 81-7's, it's hard to find a passive substitute that fits on the same hole (I would like to avoid cutting wood to fit another pickup). It seems like the only option for me is to choose one of the Seymour Duncan pickups that come in the shape of active pups, so I guess I'll get the nazgull or the invader.

Do you guys think there are better options? Also, does anyone here uses that same guitar with stock pups on the Axe FX 2? If so, are you happy with the tone that you have? (Clips and tips are very welcome :D)

I have one but stopped playing it a while ago as I've bought a Carvin DC727. Like you said, a good looking instrument...but pretty limited. That's why I bought a Carvin, active again. That was the mistake #2. Luckily, my luthier was able to fix it (into passsive) and now I've found my peace. I've seen and heard a SC 607B with a Bare Knuckle pup, that didn't sound bad.

My buddy left one here a few weeks back and I messed with it. I had to up the low cut parameter in the Amp block on most models to around 150hz just to get to a starting point for tweaking the tone.
Method was basically, - input-> drive block set to as a boost-> amp block with CUT turned on the the basic tab and low cut set somewhere around 150-200hz -> cab block with low cut @120hz, then it sounded a lot more like "it should", frigging guitar...
I think there is something happening because the pickups are so close together and there is SO much wood cut out because of the EMG routes that it resonates the low end back into the guitar. It felt/sounded phasey to me through a few different rigs, not just the Axe-fx.
Ascetics over functionality...
Step said something like this in his latest PG rig run down interview/video.

thanks for the feedback guys!
yeah, it seems like low end is a problem with that guitar... well, I hope that changing the pickups will help with that! Today I checked some videos online and I guess I'll get the SD distortions on the active mount!
I haven't been able to find clips of this guitar with different pickups, so I'll have to take the chance... but I'm pretty confident that it will work much better

I had one for a few months and then returned it in favour of a TAM. I loved that guitar but found it a little limited. Having said that, I was able to get a great sound out of it but to avoid the excess low end you mentioned, I had to run a pre EQ and then cut some of the lows entirely before doing the remainder of the tone shaping on the axe fx.
uny4e2yb.jpg

Using an MXR 10 band in front for shaping. The Axe has amazing internal models for doing the same thing but I'm a more visual person and like to have some pedals with quickly adjustable settings for improvisation/quick change of settings where I can't run a deep edit on the axe (only had it a few weeks so am still learning all of the awesome stuff it has to offer).

7ysuma4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice looking guitar! That's the SCT 607b, right?
I think we have the same pickups (81-7), but I wonder how different it sounds compared to the sc 607b that I have. Do you have any clips recorded with that guitar? :)

I have been cutting the lows the same way as you do, but using the axe fx's filter instead! It helps a lot but the tone still isn't quite there yet for my personal taste.
How do you like the stock pups? Do you even consider switching pickups?

I think I'm going to order the pickups today and they should arrive in a couple of weeks. As soon as they arrive, I'll record some clips for you guys :)
I'll just get the SD distortions. Seems like it's the best option.

I got a guitar today (NGD) with a set of EMG's. 57-8H in the bridge and 66-8H in the neck.
This is a TOTALLY different EMG. I can actually roll the volume off and get very pleasant results.
So different that I'm building a second/mirror+tweaked set of patches for this guitar. My EMG 808 built presets are not working.
I'm more than impressed. Been jamming all day.
8 string, NGD, Axe-fx II heaven. :)

Back
Top Bottom