Any reliability issues with Axe-Fx?

Hey guys. Just got an AFX and I love it. Just wondering if anyone has any reliability issues ever with her? Live or in the studio. Things like it just not working or screwing up so that you can't perform live. Just wondering .

Almost 2.5 years running, 135+ shows, never a hiccup. That's using 3 different Axe-FX's through the period (Standard, borrowed Ultra, bought an Ultra).

I had the Left output on my Ultra go bad after 1.5 years -- a clamp diode, or something like that (sorry, I'm not an EE). Although my unit was out of warranty, Fractal fixed it at no charge. Best purchase I've ever made, and I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy it again.

Nope.

If you're looking for issues, you'll find a few of them (I think the most common thing is a fried EEPROM, which was an issue with earlier ones and a manufacturing error as I recall.)

But its so infrequent it's a little scary. (BTW I've had mine for 3 years, and no problems.)

Ron

Good info guys. Thanks a ton. That makes me feel really good.

Just tracked with her for the first time today and I am very happy with what came out. :)

I've done about 250 odd shows in the 2 years i've had my Ultra and overall it's been pretty reliable... I have had the XLR Output diodes/opamps fried twice due to surges from Phantom Power but i believe that issue has been resolved in newer units with improved specs which i have also done since.

I've had a couple of lock ups also but that may not necessarily have been the Axe FX, could've been a dodgy MIDI Cable, Controller etc..

All in all, best music related purchase i've made in over 20 years of playing professionally.

Tian Jay

steverosburg said:
I had the Left output on my Ultra go bad after 1.5 years -- a clamp diode, or something like that (sorry, I'm not an EE). Although my unit was out of warranty, Fractal fixed it at no charge. Best purchase I've ever made, and I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy it again.

Clamp diode is like a fuse protecting the output.
It was most likely just doing it's job.

;)

I transport mine a lot. It is mounted in a 2 space rack, but it gets some shocks in the car I guess. No problem for the Axe Ultra.

Although our rehearsal room has nowadays a temperature around 4 degrees C and is very humind in the summer, there is no issue.

I update the firmware with every new release -> no issue.

The only thing I can claim about is, that I don't find the time, to check every little thing in this unit. (What was not necessary so far...)

Mine has been bullet proof so far. It's been in the cargo hold of airliners too many times to count.

In fact, my LF jr has survived the same torture as well. I guess electronics (from small manufacturers) have come a long way!

I have 2 Ultras. I use my main one A LOT - Over 100 shows in 2 years and running.
(the other sits in my studio)

HailHalford said:
I've become unreliable since I got my AxeFX. "Yeah, Mom, I'll be there at 5:00..." :oops:

Ha! Exactly!

Mine is:
(9:30PM) Me: 'Yes honey, I'll be coming to bed soon...just want to play for a few minutes'
Start playing with a new amp model...
(2:41AM) Wife: 'You're coming to bed just NOW?'

-Oog.

So far no issues with my standard. It's survived the coldest winter I've experienced yet in an unheated studio and it acts as it does under normal circumstances.

PS- I too have become much more consumed with playing with this thing and not getting to bed at a decent hour. Or getting to work at a decent hour for that matter......I'm at work now and I'm on this forum. Perhaps I'm obsessed.

musicianof1 said:
It's survived the coldest winter I've experienced yet in an unheated studio and it acts as it does under normal circumstances.
Cold and dry is not hard at all on electronic equipment; rather, the opposite. Heat and humidity are the enemy, as are rapid temperature changes (from cold -> hot) due to condensation build-up.

As already mentioned, the EPROM gets some failures, but it doesn't appear to be a big issue. Even if it does fail, it's not the end of the world.
No problems with mine so far, only had it 1.5 yrs but it gets daily use.
Apart from beer, getting this thing was the best money i've ever spent.

saxxamafone said:
Sixstring said:
I overheated mine once but that wasn't any fault of the Axe.

how did you do that?

My stupidity... I racked it directly on top of a Peavey Classic 50/50. It happend during sound check and took roughly 10 miniutes befor it went into thermal shutdown. Pretty scarry when your getting ready to do a gig and you have no clue as to why your rig just went dark. Once I realized what was going on I unracked it, pulled the lid and let it cool off for a few miniutes. I then played the two hour gig with out any issues. I was freaked at the time but I laugh about it now.

I can't think of a better acid test then to unintentionally cook your Axe to the point of shutdown and then play a gig. Shortly after that I bought the ART SLA-2 I don't worry about any heat issues anymore.

Back
Top Bottom