Any recommendations for mic preamp (vocals into FM9)?

how to route a preamp through the FM9 properly
Connect the pre’s balanced line output to one of the FM9’s balanced inputs using a TRS cable or XLR to TRS if your mic pre only has XLR out.

I should be able to run my Shure SM7B (a dynamic microphone) directly into the FM9 with an XLR to TRS cable, correct?
You will get signal, but the 7B is a very low output dynamic mic so after digitally boosting the level with the FM9 without a mic preamp the noise floor will likely be unusably high.

Last edited:
I believe the SM7B is low as mentioned by strabes.
Google search result on SM7B level:
"The output level of the SM7B is -59dBV/Pa. For typical speech applications, three inches from the grille, the SM7B requires at least +60 dB of gain at the microphone preamp."
Google search result on line level vs mic level:
LINE level is normally -10 dBV for consumer gear and +4 dBu for pro gear while MIC levels are normally -60 dBu for dynamic microphones and -35 dBu for condenser microphones
As you can see in the difference between mic and line level, there is a vast difference so going into a FM9, you want a mic pre-amp.

I currently have the following setup.

SM7B on Cajon > Cloud Lifter > Tascam Model 12 Mix board with phantom power on for cloud lifter > Axe FXIII Mk II Turbo (In 3 L) > Cubase 12 Pro (via Axe as audio interface over USB)

Rode NTR for vocals > Avalon 737vt sp mic preamp > Axe FXIII Mk II Turbo (In 2 L) > Cubase 12 Pro (via Axe as audio interface over USB)

Guitar > Axe FXIII Mk II Turbo (In 1 Front panel) > Cubase 12 Pro (via Axe as audio interface over USB)

Axe FXIII Mk II Turbo (Out 1 L/R - Git, Out 2 L/R Vox) > Tascam Model 12 Mix board > Studio Monitors/PA/Headphones

I get 7 channels recorded in Cubase the way I have it set up. Cajon - mono, Vox - stereo Axe processed signal on two tracks and Vox DI mono channel on another track, Git - stereo Axe processed signal on two tracks and Guitar DI signal on a mono track.

Long and short is, you want a mic pre-amp before you pump the signal into a FM9 or any other FM or FX unit IMO. And if you are using a SM7B, you may need some additional lift depending on how well your mic preamp does with a very low signal level mic.

I just happen to have a GAP pre73 mk2 for sale if you’re interested. $250 shipped
the cool thing about Neve style pres is you can crank up the gain and the distortion will thicken your vocals. Think FM radio DJ voice tone.
If he isn't interested in this deal, I am.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful info. I see that it's also possible to create an aggregate input/output using both FM9 and audio interface simultaneously, i.e. connecting both to my macbook directly via USB. If I were to do this, how would I assign inputs into Logic? This may become clear once I have the FMi9 in hand, but if anyone has done this and knows how to properly set it up, that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom